Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Gas Sediment Traps

Ashman2k2
Ashman2k2 Member Posts: 1
I noticed my licensed plumber didn't install sediment traps to the new hot water boiler & hot water heater. He says NYC doesn't allow it anymore due to people tapping off of it....very much like what I found <a href="http://www.heatinghelp.com/forum-thread/139207/No-Drip-legs-allowed">in this link</a>

Inspector had no problems with rough-in inspection.

I looked at the NYC gas code and all I found was:

"SECTION FGC 408

DRIPS AND SLOPED PIPING

408.1 Slopes. Piping for other than dry gas conditions shall be sloped not less than ¼ inch in 15 feet (6.3 mm in 4572 mm) to prevent traps. The local gas supplier/utility company should be consulted to determine the type of fuel gas available for the intended service.

408.2 Drips. Where the local gas supplier/utility company requires, a manufactured test fitting or drip leg shall be installed downstream of a lockable supply/riser valve in accordance with the requirements for installation of the serving utility. No other locations will be allowed to prevent additional unapproved gas connections.

408.3 Reserved.

408.4 Sediment trap. Where a sediment trap is not incorporated as part of the gas utilization equipment, a sediment trap shall be installed downstream of the equipment shutoff valve as close to the inlet of the equipment as practical. The sediment trap shall be either a tee fitting with a

capped nipple in the bottom opening of the run of the tee or other device approved as an effective sediment trap. Illuminating appliances, ranges, clothes dryers and outdoor grills need not be so equipped."

So is this just NYC inspectors enforcing something that is not actually code? (Incorrectly referencing 408.2 instead of 408.4)

Comments

• Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    drips vs sediment traps

Sediment traps and drips look similar but perform different functions. For a gas appliance not excluded by this code, follow 408.4 so yes, it would require a sediment trap. This is almost verbatim from the International Fuel Gas Code and NFPA 54 National Fuel Gas Code. An AHJ does not have the authority to minimize the code so it must be installed. If someone wants to tap off a gas line, they can break the fittings apart and make up a tee however they want. That's just silly.

HTH
This discussion has been closed.