Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

This is to good not to share!!

Harvey Ramer
Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
I ran across this attemp at stopping a leak on an 410A AC system that I got called out to repair. As Dan would say, this is evidence that a knucklehead was here.

Comments

• Rich_49
    Rich_49 Member Posts: 2,766
    SWEET

Git er done . LMAO
    You didn't get what you didn't pay for and it will never be what you thought it would .
    Langans Plumbing & Heating LLC
    732-751-1560
    Serving most of New Jersey, Eastern Pa .
    Consultation, Design & Installation anywhere
    Rich McGrath 732-581-3833
  • Gordy
    Gordy Member Posts: 9,546
    Duct tape

Probably comes in copper color now!
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Leak

Maybe it was better that the person DIDN'T use a torch.
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    You mean

That didn't work?
  • R Mannino
    R Mannino Member Posts: 440
    Where's

the WD 40 can?
  • Harvey Ramer
    Harvey Ramer Member Posts: 2,239
    Oh it gets better!

There was no leak at the duct tape location. I found a leak in the Schrader core valves. Whether it made it through the brass service valve caps, i'm not sure.

When I arrived at the site, the unit was going off on high head. Apparently it was cycling like this "on and off every few seconds" for at least a day or two. I pulled probably a pint of dye out of the system. There were noncondensables in the system and 2 lbs. excess refrigerant. Apparently this knucklehead was determined to find a leak. He cut a slit in the armoflex a ways down the lineset and poured dye in there. The dye was then dripping off the pipe right at the coil connection and he told the home owner; look, it's leaking right there, you are lucky you didn't loose it all. His prognosis was that she needs to have the coil replaced.

This guy is either dumber than a box of rocks or a knucklehead or both at the same time with a little bit of "you know what" mixed in. The home owner is a sweet elderly lady who just loves everyone and believes anything she is told. I have not seen anything like this before and while I'm giving the benefit of doubt and trying to find logic in what I see, there is none here. 

Scary huh! They are out there. 
This discussion has been closed.