Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Crown Boiler Problems

Options
led
led Member Posts: 7
I have a BWC225 Bimini that was installed 2/2011.  It failed a few days ago -- failure to ignite (hard lockout code E02) -- after many tries by the installer the problem was traced to a failed inducer in the air inlet (basically a venturi that also mixes in the gas -- propane in this case).  The air side inlet to the inducer was fractured -- almost looks like a mfgr defect. Additionally, during the extended troubleshooting the unit began to cut out on an E12 hard lockout (low water pressure) even though the Aquastat status is green.  This unit uses a Honeywell MCBA controller and I found several threads  on the Wall noting problems with spurious E12 codes on the MCBA due to high relay contact resistance.  Has anyone had similar problems with Crown Boilers and/or any thoughts on causes for the inducer failure and corrective actions to avoid the spurious E12 codes?  The kicker is that the unit is 4 months out of warranty and Crown is not jumping through hoops to get the unit back running.  Luckily it is not winter -- this unit not only provides domestic hot water but heat. However, cold showers are not fun summer or winter. Thanks for any insight you can provide.  

Comments

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    edited July 2013
    Options
    Failed Venturi

Is a sign of flue gas cross contamination. Can we see a pic of the vent termination and is the venting properly pitched back to the boiler. Don't mean to be rude by I know all those guys at Crown and they bend over backwards to help installers. Where are you located?

E12 is Low Water Cut Off Circuit is open.

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• led
    led Member Posts: 7
    Options
    Failed Venturi

Thanks for the information

I will try to attach a picture of the venturi (inducer) inlet showing the failed area.  The technician and I suspected cross contamination but it is hard to see how that could happen with the position of the gas inlet much farther down the venturi and no known leakage from the exhaust into the cabinet.  If there was an original defect in the venturi at the inlet then it is possible that cross contamination may have occurred and caused the defect to expand until it disrupted the air fuel mixture enough to prevent combustion.

The E12 problem has been extant for at least three years based on similar experience with the MCBA controller discussed elsewhere in the Wall.  The only solution that has been provided by Crown is to short the input -- that defeats that safety feature -- it is OK now because I have good pressure and the Aquistat status is green -- it is not OK for the long term.  I need to find a better solution.

I have not had direct contact with the local rep or the factory -- the installer is very frustrated with their response -- the unit has been down 6 days.  I purchased the Crown Boiler after a lot of research and finding they had a good reputation -- my experience so far is not so good.

• CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Options
    Vent Termination

Can you post a picture of the Vent Termination. Is this vented with coaxial venting? If so please post a picture of that as well. Where are you located?

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• NYplumber
    NYplumber Member Posts: 503
    Options
    intake air

Where does this unit get its combustion air from? Is the piping a concentric design or two pipe, or are you using basement air? Also as Chris posted, take a photo from a few feet back of the vent termination outside the home. Venturi issues imo are not related to manufacture defect but rather installer error or oversight.
    :NYplumber:
This discussion has been closed.