Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

diverter tee

Options
Paul S_3
Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
Hey everyone....I just got a job that involves diverter tees....the home has an existing diverter tee system....the home has sixteen radiators....eight on first floor and eight on second floor....the reason why we are gonna take out the existing main that runs the perimeter of the home is because the customer is converting the first floor and second to individual apartments....the customer does not want any construction done on any of the living areas so all the work will be done in the basement ....the existing main would be taken out and the pipes going to the radiators will stay....so the customer wants two individual boilers but leave the radiators....so we are gonna run two separatediverter tee systems in copper...my question is to determine pipe size...should I use a 20 delta tee?....and original main its 1 1/4 will I be able to use smaller pipe if the formula calls for it?....thanks Paul S
ASM Mechanical Company
Located in Staten Island NY
Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
347-692-4777
ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
ASMHVACNYC.COM
https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company

Comments

• Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    Apartments

Are each of the apartments going to have their own thermostat?
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • Paul S_3
    Paul S_3 Member Posts: 1,261
    Options
    yes

There are two floors.....each floor will get there own boiler...with eight radiators connected to each thanks Paul S
    ASM Mechanical Company
    Located in Staten Island NY
    Servicing all 5 boroughs of NYC.
    347-692-4777
    ASMMECHANICALCORP@GMAIL.COM
    ASMHVACNYC.COM
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/asm-mechanical-company
  • Have yo suggested btu meters instead

of two boilers.   You could zone the system and still  use one boiler and then bill each tenant accordingly.  Chicago now requires building owners to give information about utilities cost to potential renters so they can compare rents of units that include heat with ones that don't.  The centrally heated buildings are nearly always going to be cheaper overall.
    The Steam Whisperer (Formerly Boilerpro)

Chicago's Steam Heating Expert

Noisy Radiators are a Cry for Help
  • Alan (California Radiant) Forbes
    Options
    To answer your questions

Yes, I would use a 20 degree delta tee, figure out the BTU's of each unit and size the mains accordingly.  It will probably come out to something less than 1-1/4 bacause you're dividing the load.

If you have enough money in the job, I would pipe it with a 2-pipe, reverse return system.  A diverter tee system is notoriously difficult to purge.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
This discussion has been closed.