Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Concentric Vent Through The Roof

I haven't done one yet and I have always been worried about snow blocking a boiler vent through the roof, but I have never heard about the problem. has anyone experienced a problem? I live in northern Massachusetts.

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.

Comments

• Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    snow

Snow can block the intake so mount it up as high as it can go. Also I extend the center pipe up another 12 to 18 inches to stop reversion on very cold days.

On very cold days the exhaust gasses are not hot enough to rise and can fall down and into the intake.
  • radmix
    radmix Member Posts: 194
    Yes

I do it all the time with no problems. I live in upstate N.Y.
  • Steve,

You put and extension pipe into the middle of the concentric vent?

Thanks, Bob Gagnon
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • pipe4zen
    pipe4zen Member Posts: 108
    extend

Code requires a minimum of 12" above roof measured from bottom vent cap at air intake.

You can extend, do not use couplings, only full length pipe of the same diameter. Maximum that can be extended is 60" total. Dont forget to add new length to equivalent totals for exhaust run from boiler to determine if you are under 100' total length.

This is from cocentric exhaust manual that comes with boiler.
This discussion has been closed.