Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Triple Aquatat RElay

Options
Chris279
Chris279 Member Posts: 4
I just bought a house and changed the Thermostat to a programable one, before the heat would just be on all the time, now that the new thermostat is in the only way i get hot water is if i bring the heat up above what is on the thermostat, I have a combi Boiler . im looking at the Aquastat and the T T are jumped is there a reason for this or what can be the problem maybe a faulty thermostat? or what ?

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    More info

You really need to post the model of the boiler and a diagram of how it is wired.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • Chris279
    Options
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    Options
    wiring

What is your thermostat connected to ? Do you have more than one zone? With TT jumped on your aquastat the boiler will be up to high limit constantly and the heat will always be on. It is not correct, and it is not good for economy. It needs to be fixed. There may be something wrong with the aquastat also.

I also see a valve between the domestic hot and cold water pipe near the coil. This valve must be closed. It also should not be there. It is a misguided attempt to meet the requirement for a tempering valve. You really should have a thermostatic mixing valve installed.

Some one who is familiar with this control should be able to sort it out very quickly but it does need professional attention
  • Chris279
    Options
    Re

I bought the house and this was in there I know it has only one zone, so in other words should I disconnect the jumper wires ? And what else
  • bill nye_3
    bill nye_3 Member Posts: 307
    Options
    Wiring cont.

I cannot tell from the photo but appears that there is no neutral wire (line 2) at the L1 L2 connection of your 8124 aquastat control. The control may not work correctly with out that wire on L2.  It appears that the LWCO wires are junctioned together inside your aquastat. The red wire may be obstructing the relay clapper.

This whole mess should be rewired by some one who knows what they are doing. There may be some real safety concerns here.
  • STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Options
    For starters......

Your low limit is set too high. The thermostat needs to be wired to T-T on the aquastat. The jumper on the primary control is fine.

But you should have the system checked out, completely troubleshooting the triple aquastat. It's also possible somewhere in that wiring mess something is mis-wired or a loose connection
    steve
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Options
    look in the manual

Do you have the manual for that boiler? Follow the wiring diagram in the manual and see what is different with the way this is wired. If you don't have a manual you can download one here (I think this is your boiler)  look under the downloads tab

http://www.williamson-thermoflo.com/en/williamson/pd-owt-oil-water-boiler-tankless/

It sounds like something is miswired, the guys who have responded do this for a living so if you can explain how it's wired they will know how to fix it.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Long Island?

Do you have 120v thermostat? Very common on LI.
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • Chris279
    Options
    Long Island

Yes I am from Long Island I really don't know much about this wiring
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    LI

It's a 120V thermostat, needs to be rewired and very often there aren't two dedicated wires to thermostat and it requires a RIB relay. Very common here on LI,almost unheard of elsewhere,at least we have good pizza! :)
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.