Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

two pipe steam question

Josh_15
Josh_15 Member Posts: 3
Hi!

Thanks in advance for any comments and advice. We have two pipe steam system in a loft apt. Currently we have one very long (too long I know!) run of cast iron baseboard along the entire back wall about 20ft across. We're renovating and putting a wall up to create two bedrooms, so we'll be changing it from one radiator to two. The second bedroom furthest away from riser will have a new supply line going to it and use the current return line which runs back to the main return. My question is this: When we add the new radiator in the main bedroom closest to the riser we'll have to connect this to the return line. Can we tap into the existing return line (same as the other radiator) or, will we need to have the new radiator have it's own return line connecting to the main return for the building. I'm pretty sure it's ok to tap into the existing return if both radiators have traps (which they will) but wanted to check with the wall. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Best,

J

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Steam

It all depends on the size of the radiators and the size of the piping. You'll have big problems if the piping can't handle two radiators.

Do you have dimensions of the radiators and pipe?
This discussion has been closed.