Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Air Lock

Pcastanon
Pcastanon Member Posts: 2
Hello,

I am helping my father out with his oil burner. He ran out of oil, I noticed a large amount of sludge in line blew out line, switched filters and nozzles and cleaned pump screen. Motor has play all looks well. I tired purging the line and I am bone dry. I cannot get any oil to pull through? Is it the pump that needs to be replaced or should I use a suction pump to get the oil up to burner then reconnect?

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    Could be a number of things....

Was it working before you started working on it? If so...

1. Check for proper installation of pump gasket, if its a Suntec there's a right and wrong way to put it on.

2. Check gasket & seal of oil filter.  If the gasket isn't installed and sealed tight, it will suck air all day.  Open it back up.  I usually wipe a little heating oil around both sides of gasket. 

1 & 2 are pretty important, but even more important if its a lift job vs. a gravity job.

Then you're going to need to power purge it.

If that doesn't work, let us know, although at this point you're going to need a pro..
    steve
  • Pcastanon
    Pcastanon Member Posts: 2
    air lock

Thanks Steve, I had double checked all gaskets, I checked the oil line for any pin holes, I didn't find anything unusual. I decided to change the pump to a newer one with the notion that all the sludge that passed though the system must have clogged it. As soon as I replaced we struck black gold. All is working well now. Thanks for the help.
This discussion has been closed.