Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's the proper order for oil to gas conversion?

sunlight33
sunlight33 Member Posts: 378
The house I am buying has an oil fired boiler, I want to switch to gas fired boiler, one contractor will remove the underground oil tank, one contractor will install propane tanks, and another will install gas boiler, is this order correct?

p.s. I can afford to not have hot water for a couple of days.

Comments

• STEVEusaPA
    STEVEusaPA Member Posts: 6,506
    edited May 2013
    Depends.

If the oil tank is not going to be in the way, I'd have the propane tank first, filled, followed by the boiler, get you up and running, then yank the tank.

Edit: Why the 3 contractors?
    steve
  • sunlight33
    who's responsible for installing gas line?

There obviously has to be some kind of gas line to connect from the propane tank to inside the house, who's responsible for this part? The propane company or the boiler contractor?
  • sunlight33
    good question

I have yet to check if the propane provider can also excavate the oil tank. That's what you meant right?
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Find a Propane

company who will do it all. Make sure they do a heat loss on the building and will also conduct a combustion test when completed.

How old is the oil boiler? It may be a candidate for a power gas conversion burner.
  • sunlight33
    Well...

I called a number of propane providers in my area and picked the one with the best rate. And for gas boiler, I want a Viessmann, so that explained why I need two contractors to do the job.

As for the age of the current boiler, I am not too sure except the wall on the fire box has cracked.
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    OK,,,,

when I install a gas system I take care of everything except ordering the tanks...

And most companies will not hang a meter or fill a tank until the system is ready to be started... So this should be taken into consideration..

Here are the questions I have for you...

1st- Are you renting the tanks or buying?

2nd- does the current location of the oil equipment interfere with the placement of the new gas system? {sometimes it doesnt since oil is on the floor and your viessman will be wall hung and oil needs a chimney and your new system will be dv...

3rd- get a good contractor and have a heat loss done.. this is not skippable...
  • sunlight33
    I see

1. Renting the LP tanks

2. I think so because the new boiler will be installed at the exact corner of the room where the current boiler sits.

3. Yes I will let the contractor do it.

From what you said, it looks like the propane tanks should be ordered after the boiler is installed.
  • James Day_2
    James Day_2 Member Posts: 191
    boiler

Usually the propane company will run the line to the house.  From there the installing contractor would run the propane line from there.    It can be cordinated with the contractor and propane company so everything runs smoothly.

James
  • heatpro02920
    I would let your heating contractor handle it.

Call your propane co. and get the tanks installed as soon as they can get there, since this is going to take them a few weeks to come out.

I would consider buying your tanks, the propane is cheaper when you own your tanks...

meanwhile work with your contractor getting the system installed,

As others have said, everyone does it different, my LP companies wont fill the tanks until the system is ready to fire....

When I have a customer that is going to be converting and I have to place their system out of service for more than 24 hours, I install a temporary electric hot water tank {I keep a couple at the shop for this, one is in a customers house rite now and has been there since january when their indirect dyed, but they are switching to gas are and waiting for the gas company to install their line...

But I think your contractor will know best the way the local lp companies work....

I would consider buying your tanks...
  • David Sutton_6
    David Sutton_6 Member Posts: 1,079
    One very over looked item !

Seems the more I see these the more I see one over looked problem, That's cleaning of the boiler , these need to scrub down and cleaned out, good wire brushing , and checking chambers, or you Will see just how expensive converting will cost.

David
  • heatpro02920
    Is this a new system or

just a burner conversion, I may be confused here, I thought it was an entire boiler and the op was scrapping the oil system all together...
  • sunlight33
    The whole shebang

is going.
  • heatpro02920
    Good choice

especially for a system you have no history on...

Did you make any decisions on equipment or system type?

I would get 3 quotes and seriously consider buying your tanks {did I say to buy your tanks yet?}
  • sunlight33
    equipment

I want a Vitodens 200 with a new indirect tank. As for propane, I am going to find out later. Right now I just doing some homework while waiting for the mortgage approval.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    What's your design day heat loss?

Just curious...
  • sunlight33
    Not sure

Eventually I will get a contractor to calculate the loss. As for now, pray that they will approve my mortgage.
  • heatpro02920
    Good luck

Mortgage rates are amazing rite now, there wont be a better time to buy in our lifetimes...
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Yes, good luck

and once you have the heat loss be sure the boiler is sized correctly.  Minimum firing rate may be a concern.
This discussion has been closed.