Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Boiler Installation

Options
LB2
LB2 Member Posts: 1
<span style="font-size:12pt">Hello,</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">I am new to this forum, but I would appreciate very much some guidance and feedback. I am installing a new Peerless WBV-04 hot water boiler this year and would like to know the best location to install the circulator, on the feed or return side. Our existing layout has the circulator installed on the return side; however I have read that it is better on the feed side – after the expansion tank. </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Also, I will install a new expansion tank and I would like a suggestion regarding the type. I have always used an actual cylindrical tank for the expansion tank and this has worked well. I have read about the bladder-type expansion tanks, but I am not sure if this is the right type.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">The piping plan for the feed side I have come up with is a 1.25” pipe from the boiler to a LWCO sensor  and then to a 90 degree elbow and then a Watts Micro Bubbler, then the circulator (with isolation valves), after the circulator reduce piping to ¾” to feed 2 TACO zone valves. I would attach the expansion tank to the bottom of the Micro Bubbler.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> The piping plan for the return side would be 2, 3/4” return lines back to the boiler, then a boiler drain valve w/isolation valve for purging, then gradually increasing pipe size up to 1.25” to meet the boiler.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">Thank you.</span>

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    following directions

peerless should have specific directions for the piping layout in the manual for the boiler.

how did you choose the size? I hope you did a heat-loss to determine the size of the boiler.--nbc
  • heatpro02920
    heatpro02920 Member Posts: 991
    edited May 2013
    Options
    If I remember correctly

you will have a 1 1/2" nipple for a supply coming out of the top back left of the boiler and a 1 1/4" return coming out of the front lower right....

If you have 2- 3/4" zones {I'm going to venture to say your 4 section is most likely going to be grossly over-sized, if not your return temps are going to be much lower than your supplies since you will have some very long runs}, but besides that lets answer your question, this is how I would pipe it...

I would come out of the boiler with a 1 1/2"X1"x3/4" T {thats 3/4 on the branch for the LWCO {if yours doesnt come with one}to be installed into, 2" to connect to the boiler, and 1" for the system. Then I would install a 1"x3" nipple a 1" union and another 1x3" nipple, next would be a 1"X3/4x1" T, the run will be 1" which will be pointing towards the left side of the boiler, the 3/4 would be on top which would have a taco 418 high vent installed in it, and the bottom 1" tap would be connected to the last 3" nipple...

Now the pipe pointed to the left I would install a 1"X 11 or 12" nipple with a 1" 90 on the end, then a 1X3" nipple, then a 1" IPS spiro vent {or whatever vent you want to use, with a webstone expansion tank fill valve installed in the bottom of it, then another 3" nipple, then a 1" T, then a 5" nipple, and another T, and on the end would be a 1"X1"x3/4" T with a 3/4" drain installed in the end of it.

Now out of that T I would install 2 nipples {depending on how you want to set the circs I you can angle them towards the boiler or stagger them in height or both}, on the tops of them nipples I would install 1" IPS webstone isolator flanges, then the circs and on top of the circs I would install 3/4" isolator flanges then they would be piped to your zones I would use bumble bee circs with check valves installed....

Now for the return, come out of the boiler with a 1 1/4 X 3" nipple go into a 1 1/4 X 1" X 3/4" T install a 3/4" drain in the front of the tee face the nipple to the right, come out of the tee with a 1"X5" nipple then a 1" 90 facing up then a 1X12" nipple then a 1" union and a 1x12 nipple, now put a 1" X3/4X3/4 Tee and come out of the top 3/4" tee with a 3/4x6" nipple and go into a webstone 3/4'ips ball drain assembly, then onto your zone, then out of the other side of the 1x3/4x3/4 tee install a 3/4X4"nipple and a 90 elbow, out of the top of that elbow install a nipple 6" nipple and another 3/4 webstone ball drain assembly then onto zone number 2.... You may need 3/4" male adapter to go to your zone depending on if they are threaded or sweat or pex, if they are sweat use copper male adapters on the return side and buy 3/4" copper flanges for the supply side...

For your fresh water feed you can do this a bunch of ways but the easiest is to pipe it into the webstone expansion tank unit, use a backflor combo unit like the 911s and install it using a brass nipple incase it needs to be changed, fasten everything to the ceiling when it gets up there, if you are using pex to go to your zones go to the ceiling before converting to the soft tubing so you can secure everything first..... I use teflon tape and pipe dope {fond of the blue monster tape and tru blue dope...}.... Also there is a 3/4" tap for a vent and prv on the top or back I forget, but that is pretty straight forward and I believe they come with the parts...

I have installed them boilers in 3 hours, after we had that flood a few years back {not sandy before that} I installed 3 in one day with 2 helpers the houses were pretty close to each other and the boilers were delivered the day before.... While on that same day my other install crew installed 1 boiler and an indirect water heater, lol..... Man that was a rough few weeks, I can not imagine how the sandy guys did it, luckily Sandy wasnt too tough on my area, although a tree fell and crushed a customers garage that I installed a GB 162 and a Rinnai unit in 4 days prior....
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,541
    Options
    Few questions?

1. How was boiler sized? Two 3/4" zones and a WBV/4 with it's 180K output raises a red flag.

2. WBV boilers all ship with AquaSmart control with integral LWCO,why the redundancy?

3. Why a single pass pin boiler?
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
This discussion has been closed.