Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

uninsulated steam pipe

Options
john p_2
john p_2 Member Posts: 367
hi guys, putting some wireless equip. into a room, essentially a closet thats about 12' X 12' with 10' ceiling. There are provisions for ac to cool the room but we think they may have missed the uncovered pipe that is a 4" steam pipe about 12' long, used for heating this complex. My questions are, will insulating it stop all of the heat that it emits to the space now and what thickness would be best?

Comments

• Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Insulating

won't stop all the heat -- that's impossible -- but it will certainly reduce the amount of heat you need to deal with considerably.  A 4" steam pipe, 12 feet long, is going to dump a remarkable amount of heat, uninsulated -- somewhere around 3K BTU.  I would suggest a minimum of 1" fiberglass or equivalent; half inch really doesn't do much. 
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • RJ_4
    RJ_4 Member Posts: 484
    Options
    insulation

I would insulate the pipe with 2 inch fiberglass and than build a small insulated chase aruond the pipe
    RJ
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,286
    Options
    Why not?

No harm to more insulation... just to give a very very rough idea, though -- 1" should get the heat gain from the pipe down to about 400 BTU; 2" would cut that in half.  If even that is a problem, a chase -- insulated or not -- vented to somewhere else could drop it to zero in your space, depending on the temperature of the air going through the chase.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
This discussion has been closed.