Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Pump for Washing machine

hrlevy
hrlevy Member Posts: 19
I am looking for a permanent fix. Our washing machine is 7ft below the sewer pipe exiting the basement. What would be the simplest - best fix for this?? The drain currently empties into a wash tub that goes to an old dry well. The dry well is no longer a valid option.

Comments

• hot_rod
    hot_rod Member Posts: 22,022
    the pump

in the washer may lift 7"? Buy some inexpensive sump pump hose, couple onto the washer drain hose, and try it.
    Bob "hot rod" Rohr
    trainer for Caleffi NA
    Living the hydronic dream
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    High Pumping:

The only problem you may find when pumping that high is that the water pumps out slower out of the machine. On some machines, the times cycle may not get all the water out on some cycles. But I haven't found any customers to notice or complain.

If it was draining into a laundry tray, you can add a pump to that and still use the sink/tray. The pumps aren't all that expensive. They are designed for this application.
  • hrlevy
    my idea was

I was thinking about installing a sewerage tank with a grinder pump
  • hrlevy
    edited March 2013

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    grinder pump

would be overkill for laundry, but there is no shortage of options

http://www.libertypumps.com/Products/Category/?c=15
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Front loader

I have had good luck using a front loading model and putting it on a platform. Most models make one with a drawer underneath.

If you want to keep the wash tub, any inexpensive lift will work. Zoeller makes a nice one.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    The best

Fix is to move the washer up where the drain is. That will also make the little women happy since she won't have to keep draging the clothes up and down the stairs. Bring the dryer up as well.
  • Many manufacturers

sell this type of system:

http://www.plumbingsupply.com/gray-water-laundry-pump.html

The laundry tray acts as a reservoir since the pump is not powerful enough to keep up with the washing machine. 

I have a Myers pump attached to my laundry tray in the basement and it works extremely well.
    8.33 lbs./gal. x 60 min./hr. x 20°ΔT = 10,000 BTU's/hour

Two btu per sq ft for degree difference for a slab
  • bob eck
    bob eck Member Posts: 930
    Pump

Look at the liberty pumps 404 www.llibertypumps.com
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Suit your self:

Suit your self.

You can blow a hole in the floor and install a 18" X 30: sump basin and pump. There are a large number of ways to do this. Cost is the only limiting factor.

I would start with lengthening the drain hose and let the pump go up. I have never seen a washer that wouldn't do it in a "normal" cellar. The cheapest ones work the best. If it is a front loader, raise it up so you don't need to bend over to get the clothes out of it.

Or get out the demo hammer.

I'm sort of a low technology kind of guy. If the washer pump will do the job, that's what I do. I'm going to turn on the water to a house that has one. It has been in for many years. It was there when I took it on and pumps fine. When I drain it for the winter, I use 6 cups of anti-freeze instead of 4.
This discussion has been closed.