Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Turning off radiators

Options
Pete123
Pete123 Member Posts: 22
If I essentially "turn off" a number of radiators by turning the adjustable vents to zero, how will this affect the whole system? I am doing this because some rooms on the second and third floor get too hot, or are not used much. Am I saving money by doing this, or just screwing everything up?

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Vents

It's better to let the radiators get some steam. You'll keep the system happy, and create less of a heat loss for the other rooms. Sounds like a good application for TRV's.
  • Tim_Hodgson
    Tim_Hodgson Member Posts: 60
    Options
    Stopwatch

I do not think it will have much of a negative effect. But... if you are worried about it try timing a cold start in the morning with all the radiator vents open. time how long it takes to get steam to the end of the main vent then to the radiators. The next morning close the radiator vents and time it again. If the rooms warm up just as fast, then it had little effect.

Good luck,

Tim Hodgson 
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Saving money

A balanced system in which steam arrives at all the radiators at the same time is an economical system, which will save you money, especially if you keep a constant temperature.

It seems that your system has got out of balance, probably because of inadequate main (not radiator) venting.

Post some pictures of the boiler, and radiators, for further analysis.--NBC
This discussion has been closed.