Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

LOUD Lennox Pulse

kpcarlson
kpcarlson Member Posts: 7
Neighbor behind us has a Lennox Pulse hot air furnace. Very loud annoying low frequency sound coming from the intake pipe out the back of her house, towards us. I mean it is just horrendous, it's everywhere. Unstopped by two wooden fences, the noise comes right through, makes our back yard unihabitable, and has even started to wake us up at all hours. After waiting a long time and also noticing the thing seems to be getting louder I finally told her about it she had some guys come out - the local so-called professionals, and they told her nothing can be done about it and left. I have learned a little about the Pulse and tell her it can probably be quieted down, she just needs to have the right guys come out and work on it - good guys, not the ones she called out earlier. This Pulse has not received any Lennox authorized service since before she moved there in 1995, if ever. She keeps coming back to me saying those guys she had come out (the ones that saw it was a Pulse and ran away) told her nothing can be done. I'm getting tired of this, and yes I am aware that it is not only a furnace problem, it's also an ignorant neighbor problem. Once again the symptoms are: it is VERY loud, and has gotten louder over the last couple of years. Sound is from the intake pipe, elbow down. It sputters also. WOULD THERE BE ANY HARM IN ME CHANGING THE INTAKE AIR FLAPPER.? And would this possibly help? Seems simple and inexpensive and don't worry I am 100% competent. She would probably let me work on it, though I don't need to be doing this crap. I am desparate and at the end of my rope, this is affecting my health. You ought to hear this thing come on at 3 in the morning on a cold, still night. You ought to hear it. After this it's complain to the city. After that maybe a lawyer, or possible I can make some noise of my own at 3 AM. I have learned more about this stupid Pulse furnace than I ever wanted to know. Should I go ahead and change that intake flapper valve first? Would that quiet it down? I would not touch anything else.

Comments

• bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    edited March 2013
    First, remain calm

I remember this one.

Now, let's see. Ignorant neighbor problem,very loud and louder, it's simple and inexpensive, yourself are 100% competent, (no worries here) (?), end of rope (easy on that one) and the ever popular heath problems.

As you mentioned, I think it's time to bring in a lawyer to really screw things up:)

As far as youself working on your neighbors stuff. There has to be a better way.

Hope this helps!
  • Jamie Hall
    Jamie Hall Member Posts: 23,164
    I wouldn't

unless you are very very good friends with that neighbour.  And even then I'd think twice about it.

You start working on it -- even something simple like an intake flapper -- and you've bought the whole system and the problem.

You can chase around and see if you can find a pro. who you feel is comptetent and who will work on it, and then set about convincing your neighbour to hire the guy -- but I wouldn't try to do it myself.
    Br. Jamie, osb
    Building superintendent/caretaker, 7200 sq. ft. historic house museum with dependencies in New England
  • Bob Harper
    Bob Harper Member Posts: 1,034
    DIY neighbor fix

If you step onto their property without permission and tamper with their house in any way, you can be arrested for trespass and vandalism.Should someone get hurt as a result of your tampering, you could be charged with criminal charges and go to jail.

Write them a letter return receipt required spelling out the issue in a non-threatening manner and ask them to write back their plan to have the unit inspected by a qualified agency for safety and proper performance then make whatever corrections are required to bring it within a reasonable expectation of operational noise. Give them 15 days to respond. If they do not write back, file a claim in small claims court. You can try the local municipality on a noise ordinance but they usually steer clear of neighbor disputes. If you can document that a pro measured CO coming onto your property from their vent you may have grounds for greater damages as in the loss of use of that portion of your yard. If their fumes are entering your home, call the local fire marshal at once and get yourself a low level CO monitor. Keep in mind if you hire an attorney to sue, you have to think about what damages you think a judge or jury would award. They may find grounds to force the neighbor to fix/ change his equipment with no other damages and you'd be out attorney's fees. Even if you get some damages, just how much do you think you'll be awarded for noise? If you're located in LA's Golden Triangle, it could be substantial. Otherwise, go fish. You may have to erect your own sound barrier or fight back with your own obnoxious sounds,,,,,,,,, until other neighbors sue you. You can set up a strobe light towards his house but if he has a seizure, they'll sue you. '

try written diplomacy first
  • kpcarlson
    Thanks Jamie

For the advice. I realize working on something means I have bought it and it's mine from then on. Results can be good, or bad. Neighbor has so far refused to call a nearby Lennox dealer, seems locked into what those first guys told her. Maybe she will let me hire them, offer to pay for it myself - it would be worth it. Am still wondering though if replacing, or at least cleaning a 20 year old flapper will quiet it down. Just cleaned the air intake screen for my Navien tankless I installed about a year ago, it was already loaded with crud. Attached is picture of my installation, with proper permit of course. Jes for fun.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Whgy not get in touch

with Lennox and ask for their assistance. My experince with pulse combustion is they have always been noisy. We used to install a Ford Philco muffler on some of them especially if it disturbed the neighburs. I do not know if that is still around for those today,
  • kpcarlson
    Thanks

Mr. McElwain, I had not thought of contacting Lennox. I will definietly call them first, then go get a feel for what our local Lennox center says. I guess I'll find out the ouch factor for the cost of a basic servicing for starters (I am assuming they will want to do the hx pressure check and the whole shabang). At this point I am willing to pay for it if I can get the noise to stop. I have also seen supply houses carrying muffler sets for the Pulse. Thank you all for your thoughtful answers. I have always had a great appreciation for both experienced tradespersons and superior craftsmanship.
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Pulse

Does it have mufflers on the intake and exhaust?

Changing or cleaning the intake flapper won't help anything. They don't get dirty with the same crud that was on the intake screen of your indirect. If the flapper was bad the furnace wouldn't run.

I would offer to pay for the proper LENNOX serviceman to come out ( cheaper than a lawyer ). Just make sure YOU talk to the company and make darn sure they send out the tech that knows how to service a pulse. I have a few that I still service - had to replace one last year due to a failed heat exchanger.

GOOD LUCK
  • kpcarlson
    Thanks Steve

For the information on the flapper valve. I have not seen the Pulse and don't know whether it has mufflers installed. I will probably end up doing as you have suggested; finding a good Lennox guy and pay him to come out. I am done with this thread now. I want to thank you all again for your taking the time to share some of your knowledge with me.
This discussion has been closed.