Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Standing pilot appliances........

Roland_18
Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
Is there any legislation concerning the discontinuation of standing pilot gas appliances?

Thanks,Roland........

Comments

• Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    Gone

as of 9/1/2012
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    And:

And good riddance
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    I'll take

The ole reliable over new and improved any day.
  • Solid_Fuel_Man
    Solid_Fuel_Man Member Posts: 2,646
    Tradeoff

I think standing pilot has it's place, although limited, there is something to be said about heat load the appliance is serving.  Say it's a 500MBTU boiler, the minuscule gas consumption of the pilot is a moot point really, especially if the burner is on most of the time.  Think of a glow-bar setup in some awful single stage over sized boiler that is short-cycling all the time burning through electricity and glow-bars.  Granted the boiler needs to be sized the the heat loss and modulating, but I digress, spark ignition is the way to go in almost all cases. 

Taylor
    Serving Northern Maine HVAC & Controls. I burn wood, it smells good!
  • Roland_18
    Roland_18 Member Posts: 147
    Standing pilot

I guess I should have worded my question differently. Are residential ,standing pilot water heaters still available?

Thanks, Roland........
  • unclejohn
    unclejohn Member Posts: 1,833
    Yes

Yes
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,612
    Standing pilots as of September 1, 2012

on heating equipment only have been eliminated. Other appliances can still have a pilot that includes water heaters, space heaters decorative appliances ETC.

Sorry to see this happen the 24 volt thermocouple pilot operated system was the most reliable and least difficult system to service. Add to that the old Powerpile System done away with in 1979 with the mandate for dual seated gas valves on heating and we have lost some very inexpensive to run and maintain systems. The cost to run those pilots roughly $100 to $120 per year versus one service call on a mid or high efficiency furnace or boiler and there goes efficiency. If parts are needed that is more of a problem especially because no one has parts on their truck anymore for everything. In the past you could carry three gas valves and couple of relays or fan controls and you could fix just about anything.

Like everything else we are doing it is called PROGRESS, Hm I wonder!
This discussion has been closed.