Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

flo-check problems. getting stuck open or closed. any info?

Joseph_4
Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
Hi. I've recently had 2 systems that i've replaced due to hurricane sandy. The old flo-checks were working before I changed  boilers. the flood waters didn't get near the height of flo-checks. Now 2 months later I have these 2 separate customers complaining.one- that both zones get hot when they turn thermostat in basement on. (not the reverse way) so seems flo check stuck open. In other case a few times had no heat. when i turn the "flag" on top of the red B and G, then water flows. Why now after replacement are they causing problems, when all the years before, both said they had none(problems)?

Thanks

Joe Hardoon

HHI Services LLC

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Why?

Why if you replace a system would you not replace the flo-checks?
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Fresh Water

Nice new fresh water being introduced into the stsrem and loosening all the crud in the system.

A bottle of system flush and a flushing and draining of the system might help.
  • Joseph_4
    Joseph_4 Member Posts: 271
    customer paying for parts. gave them choice to save a little

Ice- has this ever happened to you. Aaron- gave customer choice to save some money. didn't see any problem with old one.

joe
  • Ron Jr._3
    Ron Jr._3 Member Posts: 603
    edited March 2013
    Aaron

After Sandy blew through , finding parts was almost impossible anywhere near the areas that were hit . Almost anything that wasn't in water was reused on our installs .

More than likely crud got stuck where the flowchecks seat themselves . You could try running a cleaner through the boilers but after doing that and purging and then hanging around to see if they're working right again ............. it's probably easier to just replace the flowchecks .

And right at the flowcheck is a common place for air to get trapped . If there's enough air near the weight it'll stop water flow altogether .
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    FM

It does it my FM. You never know if and when it will happen.

If steamhead took a chance and used the old one, it would never stick. If I did it, it would stick 50% of the time.

If I replace the flow check with a new one, the old one would have never stuck. If I don't replace it, 50% of them would stick.

The manufacturers put hateful parts in them to make our lives miserable. In fact, most things we install are hateful. They break.

The other day, a guy told me that I couldn't change the bottom element of an electric water heater without draining the tank. "Really?" No, you absolutely can't.  "You watch my dust".

A cup of water later, it was replaced. Another hateful bottom element bit the dust and was changed.

I'm watching the tide and damage in Marshfield, MA. That is a hateful tide. It sure is pretty in the Summer but sure hateful in the winter storms. I'm glad I don't live there.
  • Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Understand

I understand your situation. I never tried it on b&g flo-checks but I have taken apart taco flo-checks and cleaned them. Most of my boiler swaps I don't use flo-checks anymore I use zone valves or IFC pumps.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • Steve Whitbeck
    Steve Whitbeck Member Posts: 669
    Ron Jr.

DING DING DING

Ron got it right - more than likely crud holding the valve open.

If YOU use Teflon tape ( I do ) You have to make sure that the first thread is clear. ( keep the tape back one thread )  If tape gets into the system it can do crazy things.

Had a call one time that the installer couldn't get a pump to flow water. Turns out that he used Teflon tape and it was hanging over the end of the pipe and when he tightened the connection it spread across the pipe and sealed it off.
This discussion has been closed.