Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

underground condensate leak repair - radiator hose

elfie
elfie Member Posts: 266
had some trouble finding a solution to an underground pipe leak.

here is an idea - just installed a flexible radiator hose that seems to be working.

any thoughts on how long this will last? linear expansion possible?

good idea?

thanks

Comments

• ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,589
    Weird

I swear there was a post  almost identical to this one with even the same kind of picture a year ago.  Maybe I'm mistaken but I recall it not going over too well.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Yeah

I remember this one. 
  • ChrisJ
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • elfie
    yes same one

yes, it is the same but it is a different solution.

underground condensate pipe leaks are a huge challenge.

this solution may be very workable, but I am curious about the long term outlook.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited January 2013
    How Long

Maybe it will long enough so that you can make the proper repair which is to dig up the entire line and replace.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Different Hose

I have trouble seeing it as a long term solution, but then it has been a while and you still have a hose there. So, if it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck.........
  • elfie
    replace entire line?

the pipe insert is at the point where the pipe makes a 90 degree turn.

why would you want to dig up the floor?  the issue is how to deal with expansion and contraction at this point in the line.

it is virtually impossible to perfectly align the pipes (and keep them alligned), so installing a slidable expansion joint will not work

we did consider a flexible/vibration related pipe with a u-shape in this area (1 inch 1/4), and may ultimately try it if this idea does not work  - it seems to be a simple cheap solution.
  • pipeking
    pipeking Member Posts: 252
    pro press?

has anyone tried the steel pro press fitting? u think those would work?
  • ChrisJ
    edited January 2013
    Not in my basement

I would never put that on my system.

However, that said I will admit back around 1978 my dad had a hose blowout on a pool pump and decided to used a radiator hose just like the one you have there. That hose was in use between the pump and filter for 30 years without a failure. Exposed to chlorine obviously as well as sunlight. I believe the hose is actually still on a pump in his basement but the pool is long gone.

Of course, you know, it was just a pool and the worst thing that could have happened is a burned out pump due to no water. Boilers on the other hand, between flooded basements and death are a different story.
  • Mark N
    Mark N Member Posts: 1,115
    edited January 2013
    Replace

What makes you think the rest of the pipe is in any better shape. The best thing to do is dig up the entire pipe and replace with copper.

www.gwgillplumbingandheating.com/webapp/GetPage?pid=609
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Replace

The more I think about this, the more it seems like a perfect candidate for polypropylene pipe (Aquatherm/Climatherm.)  Welded joints, good for 250F temps, completely noncorrosive and nonreactive with pretty much anything, and freeze tolerant.
This discussion has been closed.