Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Brand New rad vent staying open.

Guys:

Do brand new radiator vents sometimes arrive in a condition that they dont close? I put an old radiator into service yesterday, and the steam did not close the first vent. It was a Dole 1A adjustable. It steamed right out the top. I adjusted it u and down, tapped on it with a pen (and then a screwdriver), and once, it did diminish the steam it was providing to my basement, but never stopped. So I put in a Maid-o-mist 6; again, brand new. This one did the same thing. Although it diminished over time, so I went to bed with it in service. I woke up with low water, so I changed it to another brand new one; this time a Durst adjustsble from HD! This one seems to hold, but I want to wait till it cools to see if it opens and closes right.

I was going to buy a Gorton 6 becuause of brand loyalty ( I have some 1s and 2 along my main and at the dry return).

Jake
ThermalJake

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Vents

The HD vents are not the greatest quality.

What pressure is the boiler running at?
  • ThermalJake
    ThermalJake Member Posts: 127
    about 8 oz

8 oz
    ThermalJake
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    High pressure problem?

Steam pressure over 3 psi can make radiator vents into paperweights, or Xmas tree ornaments. If 2 different vents exhibit the same symptoms, then the problem is with the system being over pressured (over 2 psi).--NBC
  • ThermalJake
    ThermalJake Member Posts: 127
    low pressure

8 ounces, not pounds.
    ThermalJake
This discussion has been closed.