Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Uneven heating of cast iron radiators

Options
This is my first post and I am not as knowledgeable as many of the other members. After reading many posts on different sites I am sold on the advantages of steam heat.

We have been living in our 1930 home for two years. We have a one pipe steam system - and I can't figure out why some radiators only heat up halfway- I mean the top half and not the bottom half- and other times these same radiators heat up all the way. It seems so random to me and I could use any advice offered.

Comments

• BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    edited January 2013
    Options
    Might be normal

On mild days my radiators often only heat partially but when it's cold (4 degrees this morning) they all heated all the way across and over the full height.

Do they all seem to start heating at about the same time? Is there any banging or other obnoxious characteristics?

This link is from the library on the site and it may help you understand your system better -

http://72.3.142.104/article/321/Steam-Heating-Basics/128/A-Steam-Heating-Primer

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Options
    Inserting links into posts

Let me suggest when we all put in a link, that we put it on its own line, and then it will become active.

Yes the half-heating radiators in the shoulder seasons is just what I have experienced.

It is in these chilly, but not freezing times, that having good main venting, with it's quicker response will save on fuel.--NBC
  • SLC
    SLC Member Posts: 37
    Options
    Same Problem

I had the same problem until I read these posts and with help of these knowledgable people I corrected my problem by replacing my 2 main air vents in basement with Gorton #1's. System has never been better....Worth a shot......
This discussion has been closed.