Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

replaced the steam boiler/ no vents on the mains un balanced heat?

vish
vish Member Posts: 9
Went to a job. House had 2 40yrs old steam boilers.One for up stairs one for main floor. The main floor boiler cracked. Removed both 86mbh and installed 1 125mbh. Measured the radatiors 375 sq ft. The new boiler has 365sq ft. The old boiler had no hartford loop or equalizer line no main steam vents. The system only heats 1/2 of the house . Would some main line vents help get the steam over there.

Comments

• Rob_40
    Rob_40 Member Posts: 55
    edited January 2013
    Vents are a must.

I am not a heating expert.  I dont even play one on TV.   It sounds like there were two independant steam systems originally.    Are both steam circuits now connected to the single boiler?  (My apologies if this question seems insulting.)

Everything I have read requires vents, and big ones at that, on the main pipes so that the steam reaches all the risers at the same time.  Perhaps that steam is reaching only the radiator or radiators that are closest to the thermostat, and shutting off the thermostat before the steam reaches the remaining radiators.
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,476
    Pictures?

Post some pictures of the boiler, the piping around it, and how it is tied into the steam mains. Somebody might spot something.

Did you tie the returns together below the boiler water line?

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Charlie from wmass
    Charlie from wmass Member Posts: 4,318
    edited January 2013
    What you did is not ideal.

two boilers would have given zoning and a better efficientcy to the system. Photos would help diagnose it. Also the boiler is too small.
    Cost is what you spend , value is what you get.

cell # 413-841-6726
    https://heatinghelp.com/find-a-contractor/detail/charles-garrity-plumbing-and-heating
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    Pictures

Another vote for pictures.

Why would you take out two boilers and remove the ability to have two zones?  My system is 392sqft connected to a 150mbtu boiler and I barely produce enough steam for the system.

Your setup may work but you need a ton of main venting and very slow vents on the radiators assuming its a single pipe system to keep radiators from hogging steam.  If it is single pipe, what vents are on the radiators?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • vish
    steam boiler /no vents

Thank You for taking the time. here are some pictures. Thanks Bob
  • vish
    steam boiler /no vents

Thank You for taking the time. here are some pictures. Thanks Bob
  • vish
    another picture

sorry not to efficent at this.
  • vish
    another picture

sorry not to efficent at this.
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    2into one no go

Put on plenty of gorton 2 main venting on the dry returns.

Clock the meter to determine the burner output is up to specs.

Compare your piping with that in the manual, as it seems to deviate from the instructions with a poorly-drained header. Iron is good though.

Insulate the supplies, and mains., even with fiberglass batts as a temporary measure.

Can you draw a diagram of the layout showing where steam is and isn't?--NBC
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,583
    bullhead tee

I'm with NBC on this one, separate the two mains and connect them into the header individually and then put a ton of main venting on each and you might just end up with a perfect system.

IMO you should use both risers out of the boiler and run them into a 3" header. If you look at the link in my signature my boiler is piped kind of how yours should be. You'll notice two mains connecting into the header.
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • BobC
    Seperate the mains and tie returns below the NWL

I agree that you would be better off if you brought a separate riser to each main from the boilers header, tying the mains together is asking for problems. You need heavy venting at the end of each main or on each return. Calculate the volume of air in the mains and vent it so it expels all the air fast (1-2 minutes). Also it looks like a couple of returns are tied together above the waterline, that should be piped so they tie well below the boilers waterline.

Since the boiler is a little light for the load pipe insulation is not an option here, insulate all the piping you can after adding the vents and correcting the piping. Is this single pipe steam?

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • vish
    Thank You

I will re pipe the header for individual lines coming off the header. Can I vent the mains where the returns come back? 
  • vish
    Thanks

thanks for the help. Bob 
  • vish
    Thanks Chris. worked perfect

Thanks Chris. worked perfect
  • BobC
    Vent it fast

You can put the main vents at the end of the main or at the return, just be aware you have to vent all the pipe between the boiler and the vent.Vent it fast and completely.

Hopefully it all works out for you.

Bob
    3PSI gauge
  • vish
    one boiler cracked. the other was not far behind

I should have taken some pictures of how this was.The customer has 2 kids in college and didn't have the money to re[lace both. I took out the tee and ran individual lines to a new header. put some vents in. Brought the main condensate lines down individually to a wet return below the water line. works great. The home owner has to insulate the supply lines to the 2nd floor there really heating the basement. The lines that were insulated really worked well. Thanks Bob
This discussion has been closed.