Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Historic home with radiators

1860 Farmhouse with 18" stone walls in front with addition that was

probably done in early 1900's that is cedar clapboard on

outside,uninsulated walls. Clapboard is in good shape,no cracks or

openings,pretty solid. All the windows were replaced with Anderson  last

year (home is in a Historic District)  north of Phila Pa

Heated space is 2050 sq ft,

Attic which which is finished but has no radiators is 400 sq ft

Currently has a Peerless WBV-03 Oil Boiler (with a tank less coil in the

Boiler) and a Bradford White Electric Water Heater run parallel with the

boiler, house has cast iron radiators

We are going to convert to gas and I want a boiler with an indirect tank.  Also would like to go high efficiency ,mod con

Any suggestions would be appreciated

Thanks

Comments

• Paul Pollets
    Paul Pollets Member Posts: 3,656
    Mod Cons

Mod cons will usually work well with existing radiators. Hopefully you can find a contractor in your area that has expertise. I like the Viessmann Vitodens 200 and their VitoCell 300 SS indirect tanks. I use an NTI Trin n Stor, if the Vitocell is over the budget.

When retrofitting a radiator system, we always change the radiator valves to TRV's. The system will perform at highest efficiency when a "Smart" pump (i.e. Grundfos Alpha) is installed on the heating circuit.
  • Ironman
    Ironman Member Posts: 7,367
    Agreed

The Triangle Tube, The Knight WHN and the Utica/Dunkirk at the bottom of the page are good mod/cons that we install and like. I would not use a boiler with a Gianonni heat exchanger unless you have a good servicer that's going to do thorough annual maintenance. Many manufacturers use this heat exchanger, so you need to ask your installer if the boiler they're proposing has it.

The most important thing in the equation is the installer: he's 98% of it. Make sure you get references and pics of his recent installs and post what he's proposing back here for review if you want recommendations.
    Bob Boan
    You can choose to do what you want, but you cannot choose the consequences.
This discussion has been closed.