Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Furnace repairs DIY

gundijones
gundijones Member Posts: 2
Furnaces can sometimes give you head aches, especially if it's cold outside and you need it more than ever. To make sure you don't need furnace repair services on a winter day, save yourself some time and money and learn how to repair your furnace and keep it in a good condition.

First of all, here are some of the major causes you might need furnace repair services: if you have a gas furnace or heater your problems might involve the thermocouple, the pilot right or some component of the electrical system. In order to get access to the pilot burner you have to pull the door out of the furnace housing or, depending on the situation, remove the panel that covers the pilot and gas burners. In an assembly at the front of the furnace you should be able to find everything you need to start your repairs: the pilot light controls, reset buttons, gas valves and the thermocouple.

If your gas furnace just won't run, Check for blown fuses or tripped circuit breakers at main entrance panel, at separate entrance panel, and on or in furnace and try to restore the circuit. If it's still not receiving power then it's time to get some professional repair services. Also, make sure the the gas valve is fully open and it's receiving fuel. While you're here, check for gas leaks. Here's what you need to do: stir up a mixture of liquid detergent and water and paint this mixture on the gas supply line along its connections and valves. If you have gas leaks then the soapy water will bubble. To repair it. Try tightening the leaking connection with a pipe wrench, but be careful not to over-tighten the connection.

If there's not enough heat, maybe the thermostat is set too low or you need to clean or replace the filter. Also make sure all registers are open, or aren't blocked by tugs, drapes or furniture. However, if the burner is dirty you need professional furnace repair service. If you need to replace a thermocouple here is what you need to do: Unscrew the copper lead and connection nut inside threaded connection to gas line. Under the mounting bracket at thermocouple tube, unscrew the bracket nut that holds the tube in place. Then insert the new thermocouple and be sure the steel tube is up can the copper lead is down. Under the bracket, screw bracket nut over tube. Push the connection nut to threaded connection where copper lead connects to gas line. Make sure connection is clean and dry and then tightly screw nut into place, but do not over-tighten it.

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    edited December 2012
    Warning!

Posting things like this can get people killed. It is completely irresponsible. Playing with gas furnaces is not a DIY project.As a homeowner and machinist of 35 years, I know enough to leave the burners of a furnace, or boiler to the pros with tools and training to ensure it is safe for my family. There are safety features built in to the burners to ensure they will not operate in an unsafe condition. A novice can accidentally bypass a safety feature and kill their whole family. It happens all the time.Do what you have to do....work some OT, paint someones house, have a tag sale, but PLEASE, hire a pro to fix and maintain your boiler or furnace. Peace and Happy Holidays
  • billtwocase
    billtwocase Member Posts: 2,385
    gotta agree Paul

Although everyone wants to try and save money, at what cost are they willing to bear? We all try to give some sound direction here, but there is a line that I personally won't cross. Every man to his trade. These helpful, but possibly harmful tips are better posted elsewhere, I feel. No offense to the original poster, just too many what ifs 
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Money

There's many ways to save money around the home. Messing around with burners,or the products of combustion can be like playing Russian Roulette.Move a duct yourself. Replace a circulator yourself. Repair a dripping faucet.Change a toilet. Just don't play with the burner if it wont fire.
  • Jack
    Jack Member Posts: 1,047
    Reminds me do my 2nd yr apprenticeship

In Upstate NY in 72 there was an enormous flood and we were trying to get people into HUD trailers. At that point I had no problems running black gas pipe, but this coincided with about the first electronic ignition systems from Honeywell, which were in all the furnaces, and I had not a clue...but had to get the heat on in these trailers. I had one that hung up and would not ignite. I'd try it and then wait as prescribed and try again. This went on for a while and finally I got a spark. Well, at that time I had this enormous beard/mustache. When the fireball came out of the face of that furnace I was backing up at light speed. The furnace was in the hall way and my back hit the side of the trailer. I actually put a belly in the outside of the trailer. I had a sunburn and my beard, mustache, eyebrow and lashes were Rice Crispies.

What I learned that day was to not screw around with this stuff...and always look at what is behind you when working? One again boys, life is a humbling experience!
This discussion has been closed.