Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Clow Gasteam Radiator - SOUGHT

We're looking for a <em>VENTED</em> Clow gasteam radiator or equivalent from another manufacturer .  Want something complete that hopefully can be shipped to New York or picked up in the northeast. 

Let me know what you've got and what you'd like to get for it.  

Eddie

Comments

• Clemuel
    Clemuel Member Posts: 1
    I have one

I have ANTIQUE one in Brooklyn New York.  The PRICE is $2750 firm.  You come pick up.   Big and heavy.  Worth much more VERY RARE!!!
  • Long Beach Ed
    Long Beach Ed Member Posts: 1,199
    edited January 2012
    Not quite what I had in mind

I know this is a valuable antique and that the Cast Iron Collectors of Brooklyn are probably knocking on your door every day fighting over this piece of ancient heating history.   I know they are in very high demand. 

Perhaps you can sweeten this deal a bit by throwing in some vintage steam radiator vents with that long discontinued antique lead paint on them?
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    edited January 2012
    Do you have a pic

Of what they look like. I see C I rad scraped all the time. One mans scrap,,,,

Or I have all Dan,s books, what page?

If I can find one it would be free.

I think above is missing a decimal point.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Thanks!

Thank you, Sprinter, for looking out for me.

Here's an interesting brochure on the Clow Gasteam radiators, courtesy of Dan's site:

http://www.heatinghelp.com/files/articles/1404/30.pdf
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    My how times have changed....

They offered these devices in a vented and unvented configuration... I;m guessing that more than a few people suffered CO poisoning from these units that were installed unvented.

There use to be one up at the lab for RRCC. Not sure if it is still around or not.

Travel safe out there...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Thanks, Mark...

I suppose most of the old places were so leaky and drafty that the CO just blew out of the place.  But those were also the days of manufactured gas, and that was real nasty stuff. 

We still have unvented gas stoves --  and homes are much tighter today.  But notice how I'm seeking a vented one? 
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    I noticed that Ed...

You are a wise and sage person. And I suspect you will stay that way if you have anything to say about it...

I just wanted to make certain that the unknowing understood the difference. Just because you read it on the net doesn't mean its the right thing to do...

If I'm not mistaken, Dave Stroman of Stroman P&H in Aurora Colorado may have one o these in his scrap iron collection.

ME

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    I've got...

... an unvented one.  Any way to add a big draft hood?

Yours,  Larry
  • Long Beach Ed
    Where

Where are you and this unvented heating masterpiece?  
  • Larry Weingarten
    Larry Weingarten Member Posts: 3,273
    Can unvented and...

... masterpiece go in the same sentence?  I'm near Monterey, California.... essentially the other side of the world, shipping-wise.  If you can use it, I would not need to charge much.

Yours,  Larry
  • Long Beach Ed
    Thanks Larry...

...but shipping the beast here would be just too expensive.  Thank you for the generous offer though.  The vented ones actually had a special section in the middle that contained a hood and fitting for 3" threaded vent pipe.  The unvented ones tended to smell bad.  But they did say all the moisture was good for you.
  • bob young
    bob young Member Posts: 2,177
    GAS RADIATOR

There was a time when i was young & there was one of those radiators in every bar in brooklyn. i probably threw away at least twenty in the sixties & seventies.  did not even pay to junk them . we were getting fifty cents for a hundred pounds of iron. right in the garbage .  too bad . who knew.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Bob...

They still belong in the garbage.  Clever design, part of history.  But they probably burned down more than a few gin mills and gassed their patrons. 

Just looking for one as fun.  A collectable.  Like people collect duck decoys, I collect iron heating stuff.
  • bob young
    GAS RADS

ED , If i come across one, i,ll let you know. i am a nyc lic. plbr . my office is in bklyn.   bob
  • Long Beach Ed
    Thanks again, Bob

We have a Brooklyn address but work out of Long Island.  I can usually get there on short notice, so if you find one leaving this earth, let me know. Maybe we can grab lunch while we're at it.  Thanks for thinking of us!
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    Just Curious ......

Why would you want one ? Just thinking of newer , safer and cheaper systems that can do the job ?
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • bob young
    GAS RAD

WE oldtimers like a conversation piece.  i know i do anyway. the old days were good to me. bob young
  • Long Beach Ed
    Oh yes...

We oldtimers certainly do enjoy this stuff from another era.  My office is filled with it. 

Actually, I have a ridiculously cold glasses-in porch from 1910 where I would put this thing.  I'd rebuild it and see if I could heat the front yard with it.  Maybe the tulips would bloom in February. 
  • ChrisJ
    ChrisJ Member Posts: 15,588
    Confused

Maybe I'm slow but, if it was optional to have this unvented what is the point in the steam or the radiator?  Wouldn't it work just as well with just the burner heating the air directly?

For that matter what is the point in the steam even on the vented version?  Why not just heat the iron directly with the flame?
    Single pipe quasi-vapor system. Typical operating pressure 0.14 - 0.43 oz. EcoSteam ES-20 Advanced Control for Residential Steam boilers. Rectorseal Steamaster water treatment
  • Big Ed_4
    Big Ed_4 Member Posts: 2,762
    edited February 2012
    Even Temperature

On start , the water absorbs the energy given off the burning gas . The water heats up until it breaks steam . The steam fills the radiator and transfers the heat to the metal enclosure . The water and vapor would be the same temperature so the outside skin of the radiator would also be a near equal temperature. The heated mass would fill the room with convection and radiant heat ..The steam does the same as an oil filled electric heater of today. Back in the day before city electrification , gas pipes where run for lighting . Heating systems where expensive to install . These unvented steam heaters and oil drip Kelly pots were used if you did not have a chimney ...
    I have enough experience to know , that I dont know it all
  • antincedo
    antincedo Member Posts: 1
    CLOW GASTEAM RADIATOR FOUND

I found one of these units in a building i own.. It was originally used to heat the hallway. Looks like it runs off propane... Very very old but in excellent shape. Im in MA if you're still looking for one of these, let me know.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Still Looking...

I sent you a private message. 

Is it vented?  That is, does it have a 3" connection on the back for a chimney?  

Ed
  • Long Beach Ed
    Here's One on Ebay!

I can asphyxiate myself for only $1800 !  Maybe blow up the house too.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-Antique-Clow-Gasteam-Radiator-Unvented-/270960253950?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f167d5bfe
  • gerry gill
    gerry gill Member Posts: 3,078
    maybe there

was supposed to be a decimal point after the 8? that thing is only worth 18 bucks..
    gwgillplumbingandheating.com
    Serving Cleveland's eastern suburbs from Cleveland Heights down to Cuyahoga Falls.

• bob young
    RADIATOR

That one is the smallest i ever saw. must have been for a bathroom. the one i saw years ago wre monsters. would usually be in bars or stores. 18 hundred, the guy is nuts.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Classic!

That PDF is a hoot.

"An intelligent proportioning of vented and unvented will provide healthful humidity and at the same time prevent excessive condensation on the windows"

Nothing like a bit of fresh gas condensate to help keep your lungs from getting too dry, eh?
  • jakesulli
    jakesulli Member Posts: 2
    edited July 2012
    jake

I thought I had hit the jackpot. LOL. We just bought an old house in Oklahoma and found this monster in the basement. However, it is not a vented model. Seems to be in good shape. Although, it is so heavy I don't know if shipping it very far would be economically.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Hit the Jackpot

Yes, you hit the jackpot alright. 

It is heavy.  Too heavy to ship to me in New York, but thanks for thinking of me. 

If you fire it up, make sure it has water in it. 
  • Bretz
    Bretz Member Posts: 1
    gasteam radiator found

HI EDDIE,

I found this radiator after i removed a foyer bench at a remodeling job i was working on in Rocherster NY. I thought it was very unique and may be worth some money. I happened to look it up and found your ad. It isn't vented but looks to be in great shape, and it is a clow manufactured by JB Clow and Son, if it's something you might be interested in let me know.

Bretz
  • ricardo
    ricardo Member Posts: 1
    clow gasteam heater

I have an Clow Gasteam Radiator Heater----resigning in MS., though.  Are you interested?
  • jbclow
    jbclow Member Posts: 1
    have 2 jb clow and sons chicago gassteam radiator

if your interested i have 2 for sale and yes they are heavy. My friends dad died and when opened the garage there the were. its small i think maybe 20" by 20" box type gold and lion ornament. there is a eagle seal that looks presidential on one of them at the base.

says 1920 jb clow and sons chicago gas steam radiator cast iron

i don't know why my friends dad did not sell these. they look mint condition.

can someone tell me why jb clow radiators are so expensive?

email me for radiator imacohan@aol.com
  • Toymotorhead
    Toymotorhead Member Posts: 54
    If you can't be good, at least be good at it.
  • Long Beach Ed
    $500 Buy-it-Now

Can't let this prize get away.  Maybe if he delivers it to the shop in New York I'll give him $100.  Am I missing something here?  I want the thing as a novelty.  Like an overgrown paper weight.  These folks think they have gold.  
  • gl1
    gl1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone want to buy

I have a James F Magee, from buffalo NY Clow Gas Team Heating System, Made in chicago Ill.

It looks like its in good shape.
  • benie
    benie Member Posts: 1
    wanted

radiators
  • r22clr
    r22clr Member Posts: 2
    I have a complete clow gasteam radiator

I have a complete just freshly unhooked out of a ancient school Clow Gasteam Radiator. This school was erected in the mid 30's. I have a friend who is remodling this school's gym. This heater was in a old original office area. This unit is all in tact and looks as if you ran gas and water to it it would lite off. I would be willing to discuss any reasonable offer for this unit.
  • r22clr
    r22clr Member Posts: 2
    I have a complete clow gasteam radiator

I have a complete just freshly unhooked out of a ancient school Clow Gasteam Radiator. This school was erected in the mid 30's. I have a friend who is remodling this school's gym. This heater was in a old original office area. This unit is all in tact and looks as if you ran gas and water to it it would lite off. I would be willing to discuss any reasonable offer for this unit.
  • Long Beach Ed
    Where?

Where's that Clow you have and is it vented?  
  • pisces312
    pisces312 Member Posts: 4
    Still have the radiator?

Hello,

If you still have the Clow radiator would you be interested in parting it out?

I'm only after the regulator mechanism that controls the flow of gas.

Thanks
  • pisces312
    pisces312 Member Posts: 4
    I have one

I do have a MASSIVE one in my 150yr. old Funeral Home garage.

Used it up until a few years ago when the regulator no longer worked and it started leaking steam. BEST darn heat there is. Would warm me, the concrete floors and the hearses.

It was a thrill be in in my shorts and T-shirt washing the cars with below zero temperatures.

I'm looking for someone that can repair this one.

Sorry....but I wish to keep mine.