Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

O2 PEX for plumbing ?

Options
 I know it's not a good idea to use PEX without the O2 barrier in a hydronic heating sytem but can PEX with the O2 barrier be used for my plumbing ?   I am using PEX with the O2 barrier for my radiant heat, is it ok to use any extra for drinking, cooking etc. ?   Thank you

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Technically.....

NO.

If it is not certified for use in potable water applications (NSF) then the code inspector is NOT supposed to allow it.

In reality, it is the same material (in most cases) that is used in potable app's.

Some manufacturers have dual certifications. Most don't due to ex$pen$e...

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • bill_105
    bill_105 Member Posts: 429
    Options
    whew!

I asked the same question a few months ago. ME came back with the same answer which was a load off my mind. Could this EVOH stuff cause trouble down the road? The chemical terms are pretty creepy!
  • Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    I've used it on my own personal projects...

and there's nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with me, nothing wrong with me... (Grin)

The EVOH barrier is on the OUT side of the tubing. I wouldn't use PEX-AL- PEX in a potable water application.

ME
    It's not so much a case of "You got what you paid for", as it is a matter of "You DIDN'T get what you DIDN'T pay for, and you're NOT going to get what you thought you were in the way of comfort". Borrowed from Heatboy.
  • Kniggit
    Kniggit Member Posts: 123
    Options
    Vanguard

I think Vanguard (now Viega) had an Pex-Al-Pe option that was rated for Potable, and had the exact same dimensions, you were just supposed to use special compression fittings or "pollyaloy" crimp fittings not brass crimp fittings.  Never used it for potable, but we did use a bit of it for in slab radiant jobs as it was compatible with regular 5/8 OD hangars manifolds and whatnot and layed down really easy.

Either way it was discontinued once Viega bought them and I have about 100' of orphaned pipe hanging around in a coil in my shop.

Not to contradict ME, as he I respect opinion greatly.  But as he said if its not rated for it you should not use it for it, if you do its your problem not theirs.  Also if its ever been used in a CLOSED system DO NOT use it for potable water, no matter what kind of pipe it is.

K
This discussion has been closed.