Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Steam Boiler Header

Options
Hello everyone.  I am new to this site.  It is because of this website that I was made aware of my steam boiler installation.  After reading several post here I realized my steam boiler was installed without a header.  I bought the book "We got steam" to make sure of what I was looking at.  It even states in the book that today's install guys do not know how to correctly set up steam boiler piping.  This is the letter I had to send to Peerless in hopes of proving my boiler install is incorrect.  Is it possible for the guys here to tell me if my piping is bad?  Any help is much appreciated.  Thank you. 

LETTER SENT TO PEERLESS:

How are you.  I need your help.  I had a boiler installed by a heating company a few years ago.  At the time I had no idea what the correct boiler piping installation should look like.  I recently became aware that my steam boiler was installed without a header.  My radiator steam vents have always spit water and I could never figure out why.  This is what lead me to trouble shoot my heating system.  I downloaded the manual for the Peerless 63-64 installation and it clearly shows how the riser and header should look (now that I know).  My boiler looks absolutely nothing like your install manual.  I went into one of the heating company locations and the install manager looked at the photo and agreed it was wrong.  A service man was sent out to look at my boiler and he agreed it was wrong.  An agent for the company called me later telling me someone would return again to correct the improper install.  Today 5 Dec 2012 the installation guys show up and agree it was done wrong.  They take measurements and promise to return with materials to start working.  Instead I receive a call from the owner of the company.  He told me that he feels that my boiler was installed correctly and that there would be no work done by his company.  The only way he would agree to do the work is if the Peerless company tells him that it is done wrong.  I have photos of the boiler and piping that I can send you to show that there is no header.  Please advise me on this installation.  If there is a Peerless rep that can come to my home I am waiting.  Thank you.  Marlon.

Comments

• vaporvac
    vaporvac Member Posts: 1,520
    Options
    Repost to Steam

Hi, while I can't help with your question, I think you might get a better response if you re-posted to the steam section.
    Two-pipe Trane vaporvacuum system; 1466 edr
    Twinned, staged Slantfin TR50s piped into 4" header with Riello G400 burners; 240K lead, 200K lag Btus. Controlled by Taco Relay and Honeywell RTH6580WF
  • dudehorse
    dudehorse Member Posts: 6
    Options
    wrong section

My apology.  Thank you.
This discussion has been closed.