Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Amtrol Boiler mate wh80z taking hours to heat???

panman
panman Member Posts: 82
I have a 6 year old 80 gallon AMTROL boiler mate running off a Trinity Ti150 heating 3000 sq, ft radiant heat, My question and concern is that my 2 radiant taco circulators stop recieving heat from my Boiler when my 80 gallon AMTROL calls for heat temp. I have been noticing that the Amtrol is running for 3-5 hours to heat my DHW, which in turn stops the furnace from heating the taco circulators, and causes a bit of a problem in cold weather. SHOULD my AMTROL 80 gallon DHW boiler mate run 3-5 hours?  PS we have hard water so could this be causing some of the problem, Thanks for your reply in advance.

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,418
    pretty good....

chance the coil on your Amtrol is "limed" up. this insulate against proper heat transfer.. You need to either pull the coil and replace it or use a good cleaner and shock it.
  • panman
    Re-lymed coil

Thanks, i suspected that might be the problem. How long should my amtrol normally take to heat the 80gallon tank?
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    You boiler..

Your boiler should be able to heat water from 50 to 120 at a rate of 3.8 GPM. That would mean if the tank is cold it would take 21 minutes. The heat exchanger on the amtrol was probably never capable of that as it has a limited flow rate and surface area. It is certainly scaled now. If the problem persists after a cleaning you my want to consider a different tank. If you keep the amtrol why not eliminate DHW priority feature.I think it is just a switch on most taco relays.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • panman
    recomended tank

If i switch off the taco DHW priority, how much would this effect my hot water. what would be my options on a different way to heat my DHW without effecting my radaint zone heating when in process of heating. Thanks
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    Amtrol

With your existing setup, I don't see any negative effect of turning off priority. The boiler has more capacity than your tank can absorb. This is causing your boiler to cycle. If you turn it off you with likely see no difference in DHW.

If you install a new tank, get one that matches or exceeds the boiler capacity and turn priority back on.

I like heat-flow and triangle tube exchangers.

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.