Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Recommendation for quiet single pipe steam vent for apartment

Options
I need recommendations for quiet(er) single pipe steam vents for my apartment.

I just moved into the top floor of a 3 floor old building. In general they take good care of the building, except the radiator vents make lots of noise (I'm not talking about normal hissing, I'm talking about very very loud whistling and boiling sounds). I have tried to talk to the handyman and to the management company, but they say it's normal, and that's how steam radiators work.

I've read several very instructive posts in this forum, but they all seem to make recommendations for the system as a whole. In my case, all I can do is replace the vents!

This is how I can best describe what I have now: 2 "Hoffman 40 imitation" vents, and one "Gorton 6 imitation" vent on the larger radiator in the living room (of the cheapest kind you find in hardware stores).

- I already tried varivalves (which I had from my old apartment) but they spit and spout here!

Would anyone be willing to give me recommendations for which vents to try? Should I go with Hoffman 40? Hoffman 1A? Gorton? I'm willing to buy more expensive vents so I can sleep at night!

Many thanks

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    vent preference

i always like the hoffman 1a [adjustable], although the hoffman 40 is less expensive. both of these vents can be rotated which turns off the radiator.

i suspect the ignorance of the management company are causing them to spend an extra 30% on fuel. most likely, the pressure is too high, and the main vents are not working.

if you communicate with them by email, then send them a link to this thread. alternatively, if you could find the owner, i am sure he would like to know about this waste, as his income is diminished by their stupidity in saying, "steam is like that" no wonder we have global warming with the lack of maintenance of heating systems. when your building was first built, the owners would not have tolerated any noise, or unevenness at all, and the handyman would be out of a job!--nbc
This discussion has been closed.