Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

2 pipe steam, steam not exiting radiator

Options
I have a 2 pipe system. I have recently replaced all steam traps in system, since most were original and appeared to have not been maintained. I still have problems with some radiators. I have steam at the inlet pipe, the radiator gets hot, but the exit of the radiator is still ice cold. I removed the trap, left the trap open and still no steam exiting the radiator. I know most people say the radiator most likely cannot be clogged, but I can't see what else it could be. If it is clogged what can I try?

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    Options
    2-pipe plugged?

Are there orifices, or regulating valves on these radiators which only allow enough steam into the radiator which can be condensed? How much of the radiator gets hot- 50%?

Pictures please.--nbc
  • Mhollis
    Mhollis Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Pics do radiator

It has a control valve I can shut the steam off to the radiator and close partially to regulate this one will get hot all the way across but the base where I show the new bj trap is ice cold. Again if I open that trap I get no steam coming out of the radiator bottom.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    edited November 2012
    Options
    Dunham System?

You traps look a lot like the old Dunham #2 traps.  These were the first radiator traps that were ever available.  Dunham also advised the use of regulator plates, placed in the union connection of the valves, with the purpose being to assiste the even distribution of the steam.  However, if you only have plates in a few of the radiators and none in the others, it would not seem to be a good idea.  If that is the case, I would guess that someone replaced some of the valves and did not understand the function of the plates and did not reinstall them in the new valves.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • Mhollis
    Mhollis Member Posts: 9
    Options
    Roach

These are actually roath traps all replaced now with bj cage units. If some plates are in would you recommend pulling all out. My main question is still why no steam at end of radiator when trap is fully open to air ie cage unit pulled out.
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    it all depends....

I would pick two valves.  One on a radiator that does not heat, even when you took the trap apart.  And also, one that heats very well.  Separate the valve from the radiator, at its union joint.  Look inside the opening of the valve and or the union mating surface.  Observe whether you see a plate with a small hole in either one of the valves.

If there is an orifice plate in the slow radiator, but none in the fast radiator, I would remove the orifice from the one that is not heating well.
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
This discussion has been closed.