Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

swing joint question

Options
clammy
clammy Member Posts: 3,111
Just wondering does say put a ten inch  nipple into each boiler supply then install a 45 on each riser and then tie them together as you usually would .Does this type of set up really act as a swing joint as compared to the manafactures diagrams .I ask because i looked at boiler that was replaced twice and am wondering .I do not know if they had modifiyed the piping with each replacement .The piping in general left alot to be desired and the header was undersized to at least the manafactures specs,2 in header where it should have been 2.5 and a bulled header tee which they bushed down from 2.5 to 2 inch  excellent stuff .Peace and good luck clammy
R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
NJ Master HVAC Lic.
Mahwah, NJ
Specializing in steam and hydronic heating

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    It's pretty clear the installer didn't understand the principles.

A 45-degree elbow might afford some flexibility, but if it goes right to a tee, not that much. If you have any nipples and fittings lying around, try reproducing this arrangement and see how easy it is to move anything.

Another problem is that 10 inches above the boiler is probably less than 24" above the maximum water level, so you're going to get tons of carryover, and those undersized risers are going to increase the steam velocity so nothing falls back.

And I bet the header is no bigger than the risers, so the velocity will double when the streams converge.
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • clammy
    clammy Member Posts: 3,111
    Options
    Felt the same way

I felt it was aBS piping job but HO see no promblem so i will wait till this one cracks like the other two and the same  guy might not  be back with another warranty block but i think they finally got the message and have stop using his service .But  it seems this guys here n there crews like to pipen that way guess they can't read peace and good luck clammy
    R.A. Calmbacher L.L.C. HVAC
    NJ Master HVAC Lic.
    Mahwah, NJ
    Specializing in steam and hydronic heating
This discussion has been closed.