Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Oil to gas conversion

Options
Nickinnj
Nickinnj Member Posts: 1
Hi,

I just bought a two-unit rental property in NJ. The exist on heating is an oil fired forced air furnace. The oil tank has a slight seepage from one side at the bottom - doesn't drip except a few drops when wiped. The tank is almost empty.

I want to convert to gas. I am thinking of a high efficiency furnace instead of a conversion kit to replace with a gas burner.

Any comments on this?

Thanks,

Nick

Comments

• JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    Heat

It can be converted depending on a few factors like furnace model, age, and condition. If it were mine, I'd go for a high efficiency replacement with staging or modulation for the best comfort and fuel savings.
  • Henry
    Henry Member Posts: 998
    Options
    Conversion

DON'T the existing furnace as it is NOT certified to be used with natural gas and does not meet minimal efficiency standards. We have a minimum 90% efficiency standards for new equipment. Your savings from the increased efficiency and possibly various subsidies will pay for the new install in a few years.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Price for price you

are better off when it comes to converting oil furnaces to gas to actually install a Modulating/Condensing furnace. You get away from issues with venting as gas furnace can be sidewall vented that saves perhaps having to line the existing chimney.
This discussion has been closed.