Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

one pipe steam using too much propane

Tiny
Tiny Member Posts: 3
I have a one pipe steam weil mclain PEG-40 propane boiler that is using an excessive amount of propane,  about 130 gallons of propane in two weeks.  The weather has not been too cold yet (NE PA) We have electric hot water, so this is strictly for steam.  The boiler less than a year old.  We have had two techs look at the system and unable to determine the issue.  Any suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks,

Tiny

Comments

• Tiny
    Tiny Member Posts: 3
    Picture of system

Here's a picture of the piping..
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Steam.

First and foremost...the piping is not even close to correct. The system will never operate efficiently, and will work a lot harder to produce the same amount of heat that its rated for.

Did the installers size the boiler to the connected radiators?
  • propane hog

yes, that boiler is not piped as specified by the manufacturer. the riser looks to be too small, and so is the header. add to that the possibility of over-pressure, and under-venting [main not rad], and you have a very thirsty and ineffective system.

was the burner properly set up for propane?

i would get with the installer, and go through the installation manual, and show him where he went wrong. as it is less than a year old, you may have some leverage over him. i would also get the mfg's rep involved.--nbc
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    edited November 2012
    Was it combustion alanyzed?

Was it combustion analyzed? Does it say anywhere that it came from the factory set up for LP? Or, if converted, does it have the proper conversion tags in place?

What a heck of a waste of pipe.

I thought that new standing pilot LP boilers were illegal. What do I know.

Some people are anal about turning lights off. But will pay less for a standing pilot gas boiler. I go and figure.And I have no answer.
This discussion has been closed.