Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

flame sensor

Options
anthony_24
anthony_24 Member Posts: 25
I have an American Standard Freedom 95 Comfort r furnace.I would like to know if is all right to clean the flame sensor or replace it. If I should replace it would anyone the right part # for it. I tried finding the # on the net but no luck, and my manuals have no #"s.

Thanks in advance for your help and Happy Thanksgiving. 

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Why do you want to clean it?

Are you doing some annual maintenance or are you having a problem. If you want to clean it use a soft piece of Emory cloth and gently clean it off do not remove metal surface.

Do you have an American Standard Installation and Operations manual? If so part numbers should be in there.

Find out who the local dealer for American Standard is in your area they will be able to help you.
  • anthony_24
    anthony_24 Member Posts: 25
    Options
    flame sensor

The issue I have is the unit starts, fires briefly ( about  3 seconds) then shuts  down. Tries to start 2 more times then locks out. I found out on the web it was a dirty flame sensor. I figured if it was worth a try to (if possible) clean sensor.

I also have manual and installation guide and neither have part #'s that I could see.

Thanks  Tim for your help and your great site..

Happy Thanksgiving
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    Make sure you have a good

ground, this sounds like it could be a problem with ground. Go ahead and clean the sensor and make sure it is 3/4 to 1" into the flame and 1/4 to 1/2" from the burner face.
This discussion has been closed.