Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Natural Gas modcon Boiler + DHW, Boston

BC21
BC21 Member Posts: 3
<span style="font-size:12pt">Hello all and thank you in advance for any wisdom you can share.  </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt"> </span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">I am looking to replace an aging oversized natural gas fired boiler (1989 Burnham 136,000 BTU/Hr output) and a gas fired 50 gallon water heater (with a gravity circulation loop) with a NG modcon boiler.  I require about 70,000 BTU/Hr (69 – 72 depending on the heat loss calculator used) for about 1800 square feet of 1880 vintage housing (renovated and fairly well insulated).  I currently have 3 zones of HWBB on circs and plan on adding a 4</span><span>th</span><span style="font-size:12pt"> (it’s in the calcs) with the new system.  The new system will allow me to abandon the old unlined chimney and also to move the system to the other side of the basement (where the DHW draw actually is).</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">I was initially planning on a modcon and an indirect storage tank for DHW on another (5</span><span>th</span><span style="font-size:12pt">) circ.  After a bunch of research, that changed and then I was pretty much sold on the Triangle Tube Prestige Excellence PTE 110-NG with its 14 gallon DHW storage and apparently well designed heat exchanger.  Then I found the HTP Versa-Flame.  The high liquid mass of the Versa-Flame seems to have some logic behind it but I was unable to find much non-manufacturers info on the Versa-Flame or any comparisons between these two units.</span>

<span style="font-size:12pt">I am open to your thoughts and suggestions.  Thanks.</span>

Comments

• Aaron_in_Maine
    Aaron_in_Maine Member Posts: 315
    Triangle

I would go with the triangle tube it's been around longer with a proven track record. I've never heard of the versa flame.
    Aaron Hamilton Heating
    ahheating@ yahoo.com
    (207)229-7717
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    two other options....

that I have used and the Embassy Onex/ Smith GC160 and the Bosch Greenstar combi. Both would be very competitive to the TT excellence
  • BC21
    Thanks for the input

After some more looking, I have determined that the flow rate of the Prestige Excellence is a little too close to my possible use rates so I am back to a Triangle Tube Prestige Solo PT110 and a TT Smart 60 indirect storage tank.  I would have loved the extra space and simplicity gained by using the Excellence but better safe than sorry regarding the HW.  Thanks again.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    sizing

If your actual load is ~70k, you should seriously consider installing a PTS80 if the DHW load profile will fit with it.  I'd take another look at the indirect sizing using http://www.triangletube.com/documents/2/SMART%20Commercial%20Performance%20Data.pdf even though it's a residence.
  • BC21
    What is a PTS80?

I am unable to locate a PTS80, can you point me in the right direction.
  • SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Oops

Apologies - for some reason I thought they had an 80k version of the Prestige available.

PTS110 will work just fine.
This discussion has been closed.