Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Water treatment for copper-fin snowmelt system?

Options
Timco
Timco Member Posts: 3,040
RBI, 300k. New HX 2 years ago. When I did the HX I set the prop glycol to -10*F. Two years later and a new Tek 430 control, the HX sounds like it has a jet engine firing up inside it!

I'm told by my rep the corrosion inhibitors have broken down and a film has formed inside the tubes so you have steam at the tube inner surface and 160* water in the middle. He said he had great experience just adding inhibitor / conditioner with chelate (sp?) but also sells a Rohmar cleaner that will remove this film.

Shoud I use the cleaner to be safe or will conditioner with chelate do the job?

Target temp is 140 but the 430 runs the temp to 180 on mild days with one zone calling because no buffer and it short cycles terribly by design. All warm floors and the driveway plus indirect.

Tim
Just a guy running some pipes.

Comments

• Mark Eatherton
    Mark Eatherton Member Posts: 5,853
    Options
    Chelates DO work...

I looked at a 1.5 mil CFT boiler the other day that was shaking like a washing machine out of balance. I suggested adding CST50 (Chemical Sales, possibly CD Jones has it) and they induced it, and within minutes the boiler stopped shaking.

ME

There was an error rendering this rich post.

• Plumdog_2
    Plumdog_2 Member Posts: 873
    Options
    ChemicalSpecialties, Inc

I got some from HVAC Supply in Denver. They also have the CSC-50 cleaner.

Some of these Copper-Fin-Tube boilers call for 20 degree temperature differential, which is fine for a while, then the system warms up and the squealing starts. Run into it alot, especially when the boiler is oversized and the system is micro-zoned. Glycol makes it worse.
This discussion has been closed.