Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Radiant loop blocked.

OK here's one we havent seen before. 3/8 heatpex in sandwiched application, between subfloor and 3/4 t&g flooring. The flooring is finished and one of the loops is completely blocked wont pass 120psi air through the loop. inspection of subfloor entry/exit shows no visible kinks or problems. layout of the loop was on 8" centers. With the loop open (no manifold connection) no air will pass at all. Has anyone used nylon fish tape to try and locate a block like this? This would minimize how much flooring to remove in order to locate the block. Loop is about 220ft. Any ideas would be great.

Thanks in advance....

Comments

• Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,561
    What type

I think it is kinked.

What kind of "sandwich" is it?

Carl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • ascottmay
    ascottmay Member Posts: 4
    Radiant sandwich

Sandwich is: shiplap subfloor, aluminum flashing, 1/2" plywood, then t&g flooring. It's basically making your own warmboard. Groove spacing on the plywood for the 3/8 heat pex and routed returns on 8" centers
  • Zman
    Radius

How are the radius's secured? I have seen 3/8" pex kink after working fine for a while. My theory was that the expansion and contraction of the tubing eventually tightened the radius and caused a kink. That is where I would start looking.

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • ascottmay
    Radius

They are just pushed in to the routed channel. The flooring holds them down. The re has been no water in the system. This is completely dry.
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    edited November 2012
    Is the tubing...

Heatway EPDM rubber or pex.? I have seen Heatway clog plenty of times. Did a nail puncture the tubing and then clog up w/ rust?
  • Zman
    Radiant loop blocked

I don't think it can kink in the tracks. If it did kink, it must be in the area between the panel and the manifold. Is it possible that debris entered the tubing during installation?Have you tried pushing air from both sides? The supply and return aren't mixed up?

Carl
    Albert Einstein
  • ascottmay
    Found the block

Thanks all -

It was totally kinked as it passed through one of the joists.
This discussion has been closed.