Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Diesel Boiler VS Propane Inline Hot Water Heater

Options
ez89
ez89 Member Posts: 2
Currently have a diesel fueled boiler or hot water heater. Thinking about switching to propane inline water heater as I use propane for many other things  and with diesel prices rising it just makes more sense.

However, I'm trying to figure out if the inline propane heaters have the same output  of hot water as my diesel one. Want to make sure it can keep up with/ produce as much hot water as the one I have before I invest in switching. I'm at a loss for how to figure that out. Have tried calling local places that sell them both...no help. Have "googled" and came across "waterheaterrescue.com" who referred me to this site.

Hoping there will be someone who can help :) even if just to point me in the right direction.

Thanks much!

Comments

• Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    I am not sure what you mean

by in-line heater. Do you mean a storage type heater, or an on demand or indirect?

Capability of water heaters is based on BTU's such as a 50 gallon storage gas water heater with 50,000 BTU's input will give roughly 50 gallon recovery from 40 degree water to 140 degree water. On demand are much higher input (some up at 199,000) but limited on GPM.

If you have an existing forced hot water boiler then indirect would give you plenty of water if sized correctly and matched up to your need.

If we however are talking commercial hot water that is another subject just let us know what you are looking for.
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    Diesel Fuel Vs Propane:

When you say "Diesel", are you saying and comparing "Road Diesel" that has road tax included in the price or are you using home heating oil that doesn't get taxed for over the road use and is dyed red?

In almost all cases, Propane/LP Gas is not cheaper to use than #2 heating oil.
This discussion has been closed.