Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

New Gas Boiler

Options
Jnugget
Jnugget Member Posts: 10
Hey guys . . .my oil burner and my gas hot water heater got flooded out from sandy, I want to put in a new gas boiler with and indirect. . . .I was looking at the WM CGI-5 . . . just wanted a few opinions on this choice, also how to size the indirect. thanks for any help you can give me - John

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    Options
    atmospheric gas boiler

Is cheap, but efficiency and comfort will both suffer.  Why not look at a fire-tube mod/con with outdoor reset?

• Jnugget
    Options

I'm hoping that I won't be in this house for more than 2 more years and just wanted to put something in that was decent but not too expensive that can be direct vented . . .thanks - John
  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,569
    Options
    High efficiency

I would buy a house with high efficiency appliances over conventional. Wall hung boilers are less vulnerable to flooding.

CArl
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
  • John Mills_5
    John Mills_5 Member Posts: 951
    Options
    How is it vented?

The CGi is induced draft and they definitely require a metal liner in a chimney if that's how you exhaust. The CGa may get by with venting in to a tile lined chimney without a liner. Also it is quieter and less money for maybe 1 AFUE point. Just a thought. 
  • Jnugget
    Options
    WM CGI-5

I don't want to have to line the chimney, this model can be vented right through the wall. what I really want to know is if this model ( CGI-5) is a decent boiler and if there is any known problems or anything to look out for with them. Or if there might be another brand that is better that can be vented through the wall. I only want to spend about $2,500.

Thanks - John
  • gennady
    gennady Member Posts: 839
    Options
    flooded boilers

I see strange tendency in flooded boilers replacement. People did not plan for big expense, they did not do their homework, but they must replace the boiler now. They start think logically and want to install wall hung boiler. Now, they getting readily available contractors, who have no idea what those boilers are. And they get triple over sized wall hang boilers with no outdoor reset, no primary secondary piping, improper venting and illegal job. CHEAP. Hey, there are good plumber who do not want to get rich overnight, right? And use bad situation to their advantage.   On the top of that they get very good tailgate warranty on installation. That is why i would advise to install plain vanilla boiler for cheap and not go to high efficiency in this rush. 
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    GV 90+

Weil McLain makes a GV 90+ cast iron, direct vent boiler. It is my experience from where I work, that W/M GV boilers are bomb proof. You have to work a lot harder to screw up an install, unlike Mod-Cons.

CGi's are old designs and technologies. At least with the GV, you get sealed combustion and direct vent. You can run the SS vent up inside an unlined chimney.
This discussion has been closed.