Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Who's your vote for? Which Direction

ctjomac
ctjomac Member Posts: 52
Hey Guys: A friend of mine is looking at changing his 1950's oil converted t gas hot water boiler with a wall hung condensing boiler and indirect storage tank. My initial question is to see how you would vote, but don't just limit my choices. SO.....we have Knight, by Lochinvar....Vitodens by Viesmann...Triangle Tube Solo...Bosch. These are the boilers at or around 150,000 and the storage tank from Triangle Tube or HTP? I guess our big concern is the difference in the material used for the heat exchanger and any thoughts yu might have. Thanks in advance for your advise.

Joe

Comments

• SWEI
    SWEI Member Posts: 7,356
    ignoring the very important first steps

of system evaluation, sizing and potential changes those might dictate...

My pick would be either Triangle Tube or a Lochinvar WHN for the boiler -- both based on fire-tube 439 stainless heat exchangers with low head loss.
  • ctjomac
    I was also leaning that way....

Who has the thicker stainless?.
  • SWEI
    heat exchangers

Lochinvar WHN Series uses the first generation Triangle Tube HX design.

Triangle Tube Prestige Trimax Series uses a newer design which has a polypropylene condensate pan.  It's supposed to reduce thermal cycling stress in the HX.

Can't speak to thickness, but neither has shown issues with poor water quality so I wouldn't sweat over it.
  • ctjomac
    THANKS SWEI :)

I appreciate your comments~!!!
  • SWEI
    happy to help

You will not regret either choice -- assuming your boiler is properly sized and properly installed.  Remember that your choice of installer is much more important than the equipment brand.  You're buying a long-term relationship so choose carefully.  I'm not familiar with Lochinvar's programs but Triangle Tube gives factory certified installers excellent pricing on extended warranty plans.
  • CMadatMe
    CMadatMe Member Posts: 3,086
    Vitodens 209

Lifetime warranty on HX constructed of 316 Ti Stainless.

Lamda Pro Combustion. Triangle still uses the same Polish mfg

as a second source for its HX. They had some quality control issues

and went out to find a new primary source.
    "The bitter taste of a poor installation remains much longer than the sweet taste of the lowest price."
This discussion has been closed.