Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

No Heat in NJ!

Options
NShak
NShak Member Posts: 38
Greetings.

I live in central NJ and "Super Storm Sandy" has left us with no power for at least a week. Thankfully, that's the worst of it for us. I'm wondering if there's a way to manually override my gas boiler & ignite the gas so I can get steam to heat up the radiators. Kids are starting to complain about the cold nights! I would obviously need a way to turn the gas off once the heat is adequate in the house. Thanks for your advice.

Comments

• icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Options
    No Heat:

There is but don't even try. What I/we should say is "no". but that wouldn't be true because there is. But the controls and the burner must be replaced. If it is salt water that got to it, it is toast, unfit for human consumption..
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Options
    NJ

I'm in central NJ, too. We just got our power back on early last night. You might not have to wait much longer. Don't do anything to risk the safety of your family. It's not worth it! Put on some blankets and hope for power soon.

However, if you had a car power inverter, you may be able to wire the boiler to it, with the car running (outside), for a little while at a time.
This discussion has been closed.