Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

What's the smallest vent around?

Hi. This site has been a great help to me in my neverending heating dillemas. Thank you all again.

I've got a quick question. What's the smallest quality radiator vent around? Is it the Gordon #4? I'm was originally trying to figure out if that was smaller than a vent-rite 1 turned all the way down, but while I'm asking, I may as well find out what the smallest of them all is. Thanks again for your help.

All the best,

Leo

Comments

• ryanr256
    ryanr256 Member Posts: 49
    edited October 2012
    slow vents

This is from the "Balancing Steam" pdf available in the shop:

1oz.      2oz.    3oz.

Ventrite #1 Setting 2    0.033 0.020 0.021

Hoffman 1A Setting 1  0.020 0.026 0.033

Gorton 4                         0.025 0.040 0.055

A Ventrite #1 on Setting 1 is off.

-Bob
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    small size matters

why are you asking? are you having a balancing problem.--nbc
  • Steamed
    Steamed Member Posts: 8
    Smallest vent

Thanks guys. Very helpful as always. I've been working on my balancing. It's helping. Have one radiator close to the start of the main and near the thermostat that i need to slow down some more.

Dan, if your reading this, my steam heat system still drives me crazy, but your book has helped tremendously. Thanks!
  • balancing problems

i suspect you need more main [not rad] venting.

in any steam system, the main vents should let the air out very quickly at low back-pressure, to fill all the pipes in the basement. following that, all the risers can fill at the same time. most risers and rads will have the same amount of air to let out; however, there may be one or two whose length needs a bigger radiator vent, such as on the third floor.

pressure plays a big role in this as well, and if it is too high, can prevent the vents from operating as efficiently as they might.--nbc
  • Steamed
    Main vents

I've got three hoffman 1s antlered at the end of each main. If i had anymore main venting, they'de be open pipes. My local heating guy always comes in and says, "what the heck is that", you don't need that much venting. He's a nice guy, but i don't think he knows a thing about steam. And before you try to tell me to find someone better on the wall, let me tell you i've tried and only one of the contacts on the wall would come out here and only for a consultation, he doesn't do work out here at all. Another name on the board sent me a 20 year old kid who sounded knew less than i do about how steam works. The level of knowledge among local professionals on these systems is appalling. Sorry for he rant, it's been a frustrating few years. I do appreciate all the nkowledge and help here though. Thanks again.
  • Steamed
    Correction

Correction, not hoffman 1s, Gordon 1s on the mains. Thanks.
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    edited November 2012
    As Ryan said

Hoffman 1A setting 1 = the slowest vent.  Gorton 4 is pretty slow too.

Sounds like your thermostat radiator might be a hog.  Is it possible that it might have a leak?  Either in the union to the shutoff valve or maybe in the riser.

Try closing the shutoff valve, and see if the riser still gets hot.  Another thing you could try is removing the vent all together and plugging the hole.  If it still gets hot, there's an air leak.

Edit: I just re-read your original post.  Do you have a Ventrite on there now?
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,477
    Hoffman 1A's

Are good vents but adjusting them can be iffy because of all the slop in the adjustment. You may be venting a lot faster at setting #1 than you think. take the screw off and look at the vent hole as you position the crown so your sure you are where you want to be.

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
  • Steamed
    Vents

Thanks guys. I do have a ventrite on there now. Will try the new one. Don't thinki have a leak, but will check.
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    The reason I was asking

if you had a Ventrite on that troublesome radiator is... If you turn down the Ventrite all the way to 1, you should get no heat to the radiator, the valve, or the riser.  No Air = No Steam.  If you shut the vent and still get steam, something has an air leak.
This discussion has been closed.