Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Veissman on generator power?

AlexS
AlexS Member Posts: 69
We're going to get hit hard on Long Island in a day or two and I'm expecting the usual day of power disruption. 

I have a 7kw generator that I can hook into my main panel but Im not sure if it's "clean" enough to run the Vitodens 100 that's doing my hot water now.  (Dont need it for heat yet, still rather warm here)

Cough Cough---Chris? --- Cough Cough....

Comments

• TonyS
    TonyS Member Posts: 849
    Better test it now

If it doesn't work, you need to purchase a CONTINUOUS UPS. Not a cheap standby ups.

Some of the front load wash machines don't take kindly to dirty electric either.

Check everything in the house and then size the UPS accordingly.
  • AlexS

Its a brand new generator, and Id rather not fill it and fire it if I dont have to. They preach doom and gloom every time a storm passes by, and then it blows past without any more than a few twigs on the ground.

Im hoping someone's had experience with the combination and can post up the result. 
  • TonyS
    This is a big storm Alex

and normally I would agree with you but the jet stream is going to pull this one right in. We are all going to see alot of water the next few days.

You might want to make sure it works!
  • AlexS

Besides just not working, is there a chance it could fry the control board?

Where ya from Tony?  You on the island also?
  • TonyS
    Reading PA

Last year at this time we had the snow, I was out of electric for 8 days. There have been quite a few problems with low end generators. The regulators go and can send all kinds of voltage through the house. Your best units are Inverters like the Hondas.

Thats what the UPS does..it takes your dirty AC current and rectifies it to DC then outputs it through a battery into an inverter. Inverter generators are quiet because they only go as fast as needed to supply the current,they output dc and invert it.

AC generators have to spin 3600 rpm all the time to create 60 hertz, even if its just to run your refrigerator at night you have to listen to that constant whine. Some AC generators have mechanical governors to maintain 3600..these are the worst. Better units use electronic speed controls. Good luck and let us know how you made out.
  • Robert O'Brien
    Robert O'Brien Member Posts: 3,540
    LI

I'm on LI and have had 2 calls this morning with the same question,one a Vitodens 100 the other a TT175. I agree with Tony
    To learn more about this professional, click here to visit their ad in Find A Contractor.
  • AlexS

So I guess Im going to be the one to report the findings then...  I'll wire it up in a little while. 
  • AlexS
    So far, so good..

I have one of the surge arrestors on my main panel (not anything inline, but the little sand box that you hook to a 2 pole breaker), and I left that connected into the circuits the generator is powering, just to be on the safe side. 

Turned on some lights, and then hit the Veissmann last..  No problems on start up, and I gave it a call for DHW.  The unit fired right up and did its thing, no errors. 

Will it work if I need it to run the floor heat for a half day?  Who knows... but at least for now I can take a warm shower when the power goes out.
  • TonyS
    hey Alex

you might just want to pack it up and get out of there for a few days.

This storm is going to be wicked!
  • AlexS
    Nah, we'll be alright...

While my house is at the bottom of a valley, it's not in a flood area. We do get a nice river flowing down the street during these big storms though.  Since we're looking at a 2 day event here, Im sure we're going to lose power this time. 
  • AlexS
    works fine...

The generator manufacturer recommended putting a non-solid state load on the generator first, and then powering up the sensitive stuff.  I used the vitodens for hot water every day, and had the floor heat running for several hours last night.  No issues as far as I can tell.
This discussion has been closed.