Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

rheem 90 will not stay running

ripper3849
ripper3849 Member Posts: 2
I have a Rheem 90 Imperial Plus LP gas furnace approximately 16 years old. Here is my problem. I bought the house 2 years ago and noticed during the first winter the furnace would after running not restart. I would go to the thermostat and shut it off then turn it back on then it would start up and run. after a few weeks of this happening nightly it would not start at all. I called a heating company and they sent out a tech. I explained the issue and I followed him to the furnace and watched as he attempted to repair the issue, mainly so I knew what was wrong. He fiddled with a round object that contained some sort of baffle inside and after blowing into a small tube that comes  from the side of it and runs to the furnace it lit and stayed running. He left after that. The problem then returned then next night and after several days of getting up and blowing in the tube to restart the furnace and waiting for their return he came again. He replaced the round metal object with a plastic one and seemed to have fixed the problem. He also replaced the thermostat.  Well here we are again and its fall and doing the same thing, sometimes just turning the furnace off at the thermostat and back on will restart it but most of the time I have to go to the basement and remove the tube and blow into it and it will start up. Any help would be very appreciated. 

Comments

• Empire_2
    Empire_2 Member Posts: 2,343
    Furnace "Lock Out"

It sounds like the pressure switch was replace on your furnace.  Usually the tech will write what the problem was and state the recommended repairs.  If in fact the pressure switch was replaced, I assume that the part itself was bad.  Since you are seeing the same problem again, venting, flame signal, possible limit trips, and other problems need to be addressed to find the exact cause.   Often times the fitting on the end of the tube becomes plugged with gunk and needs to be cleared.  Can you get this guy back on a warranty call back?  Your furnace is going into lockout and every time you kill the power or reset by t-stat you are erasing any codes that may occur on the ICM (ignition control module).  Vent pitch needs to be checked along with other maintenance procedures.  Did he clean the flame rod?  Also,...and not everyone does it, I write a story of when where why and what caused the problem and what was done to fix it.  That's what work orders are for.  It helps the next guy get a history on the equipment.

Keep us posted.

Mike T.
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    90 rheem

ckeck back on the "main wall " post u originaly put in
  • Techman
    Techman Member Posts: 2,144
    edited October 2012
    rheem 90

• D lux_2
    D lux_2 Member Posts: 230
    flame Rectifcation ?

Is this a drum type excangerIf so the flame rectification is done through the hot surface Ing . some times you can brush the HSI off enough to have a good signal if that works replace it . do not break it handle like bone china, If its a tube or clam shell exchanger clean the flame sensor . it has 1 wire going to it and looks like a bent pencil lead sets in the flame likely on the left end burner . next blow in the red tube on the presser switch to see if its open to the exchanger or the inducer
This discussion has been closed.