Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Black smoke coming from chimney

Hey guys..I just wanted to renew this post....I had an issue of black smoke coming from chimney, and also some rotting of caps, etc. on the duct work that needed some welding work which got done..I was told that the smoke is pitch black due to the chimney needing to be warmed up. (I call b.s. on that one.)...Anyways, I was wondering if someone can give me some ideas on what the problem is here....I have a 5000 gallon tank and its been sitting at app. 800gallons since march....could it be that the smoke is black due to all the settlement at the bottom of the tank and with there not being too much oil, it is just "mud" now?...There is also a strong sulferic type of smell that comes along with the black smoke....

Any advice is good advice....

Thanks

Comments

• GoodRatsBrew
    GoodRatsBrew Member Posts: 8
    Ugh Kimosabee

Black smoke up yonder roof meanum major cleaning/tune-up needed...
  • icesailor
    icesailor Member Posts: 7,265
    Once again:

Once again, I am amazed at the reasons given for a problem that flies in the face of any law of physics. Again based on a "Air Reason". A reason picked out of the area that provides flatulence
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Source of misinformation

Obviously the person welding the duct felt compelled to give some sort of answer (outside his expertise) and invented the cold chimney explanation.

If it were a diesel truck which was smoking like that, we would look at the air filter,or injector rack adjustment, and wouldn't blame a cold exhaust pipe.

Are these people really qualified to proceed with any further combustion testing on your boiler?

I can't remember all the problems with your system, without some research, but could it be that the people you call for maintenance are not qualified, or capable?--NBC
  • 156yroldCityHall
    156yroldCityHall Member Posts: 43
    NBC

Thanks for your reply..The welder wasnt the one who gave the "cold chimney" symptom, it was actually the tech from the heating company the city has used forever..(we have a state contract with them)....He stopped all work until I got a couple things welded, which was finished the next day. He wanted me to call him back after the welder did his thing, which I did yesterday, and I am awaiting for his return today to finish the "tune-up"....When I did call back however, I did mention the black smoke, and what their tech's "diagnosis" was, and the supervisor agreed that the cold chimney idea was not the problem....We will see today what the new symptom is....At $100 an hr for their tech to come out and pretty much do nothing, this is becoming a big issue, as the city is on the vurge of bankrupcy/receivership. Is that the going rate for a boiler tech?
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Value for money

Since we don't talk money here, all I can say is that whatever you pay should give you access to the most learned techs available. Learned means knowing a lot about the systems they are called on to maintain; but also more importantly, how much they do not know, and where they should seek help.

As brad white's father said, if you say idon't know, then you are at least right.

What sort of contract does the city have with these people? --NBC
This discussion has been closed.