Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Maintenance

Options
crash2009
crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
  Last weeks cooler temperatures were a reminder for me to do the maintenance thing again.  I usually start out by removing all the junk that got stored in the boiler room over the summer, then wipe everything down with a damp rag.  Then I  vacuum the fresh air intake, the burner tubes, and the floor. 

Then for the water side, drain the boiler enough to get the LWCO out, remove the low water cut-off, clean the element, and re-install.  Remove a gauge and blow in the hole to clear the pigtail, prime it, and re-install the gauge.  Then, while the boiler is still cool I make sure drain valves 1,2,3,4 will drain.  Close Hartford valve 7, open the manual fill valve and flush out returns through 4 with a 50 foot garden hose to outside.  Open Hartford valve 7 and fill boiler to required level and make some steam.  

Next to clean out the bottom of the boiler, I close Hartford valve 7 and King valves 5 and 6, and while watching the pressure gauge I open drain valves 1,2,3 individually and spit the crap outside through the 50 foot garden hose.

The vapor-stat is tested while the King 5,6 and Hartford 7 are closed.  Burner off at 8 ounces, and back on at 3 ounces.  The LWCO is tested at this time as well.  I usually continue spitting the crap out through 1,2, or 3 until the LWCO shuts me down.  When this happens, slowly, open the Kings and Hartford valve to equalize the pressure and or vacuum with the rest of the system.  Let it cool, fill it up, replace all the caps.  Steam for 20 minutes to clean the new water, and I'm ready for Dennis and his analyzer to do a combustion test.
LionA29

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    Options
    Where'd that insulation go?

Were you the guy selling it on e-bay? :-)

Do me a favor and check/tighten all your pipe unions. They can work themselves loose, especially on those boiler risers.

Before you clean your burner tubes you should brush your flueways. Your IOM should have instructions on how to do that, but you need some special brushes. You can pick them up from your heating supply store. They're great for cleaning big radiators too. I usually take my burner tubes out and blow them out with compressed air
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • BobC
    BobC Member Posts: 5,478
    Options
    It should last a long time

That has to be the best cared for boiler in the state!

Bob
    Smith G8-3 with EZ Gas @ 90,000 BTU, Single pipe steam
    Vaporstat with a 12oz cut-out and 4oz cut-in
    3PSI gauge
    LionA29
  • Dave in QCA
    Dave in QCA Member Posts: 1,785
    Options
    Clean Pipes

Ah, and so you removed the insulation so that you could clean the outside of the pipes too? 

And, looks like you changed the boiler room color for the summer. 
    Dave in Quad Cities, America
    Weil-McLain 680 with Riello 2-stage burner, December 2012. Firing rate=375MBH Low, 690MBH Hi.
    System = Early Dunham 2-pipe Vacuo-Vapor (inlet and outlet both at bottom of radiators) Traps are Dunham #2 rebuilt w. Barnes-Jones Cage Units, Dunham-Bush 1E, Mepco 1E, and Armstrong TS-2. All valves haveTunstall orifices sized at 8 oz.
    Current connected load EDR= 1,259 sq ft, Original system EDR = 2,100 sq ft Vaporstat, 13 oz cutout, 4 oz cutin - Temp. control Tekmar 279.
    http://grandviewdavenport.com
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    edited October 2012
    Options
    This boiler

wasn't always easy to maintain.  As a matter of fact it was downright impossible.  It was so bad, I thought I should enter it in  "The Ugly Boiler Contest"

Many things I am unable to describe.  I had a long list of annoyances.  No drains on the returns was a big one.  The one drain that it did have was aimed at a brick wall, you had to use a mirror to see the pressure gauge.  As you can imagine, it wasn't running very well.  When I inherited this thing all it would do was boil all the water out of itself, the water would stack up at the end of the main, the returns were plugged.  The water feeder was piped into the other side of the plugged Hartford (if you can call it that)  Every week it had to be drained because of flooding.  I'm not trying to start a contest, but think of something wrong, and you will find it in the following pictures.
This discussion has been closed.