Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Baseboard heating with Steam Boiler

nycpa
nycpa Member Posts: 108
Hi,

With regards to baseboard heating in the basement for people with steam heating, does the basement need a separate thermostat turning it one or can it go on when the main thermostat calls for heating.  Will problems be caused if there are two thermostats with a steam system, one for the steam the other for the circulator.  Thanks.  

Comments

• nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Hot water loop from steam boiler

I think you must have a hot water loop off the steam boiler, and it could have its own thermostat, as it probably serves a different area.--NBC
  • nycpa
    Thermostat

Is it possible to have one thermostat that controls the entire house?  I was wondering if the thermostat that controls the hot water loop will interfere with the main thermostat in the house. If both call for heat at the same time, will the system not respond to one?  
  • AlexR
    AlexR Member Posts: 61
    You can have one thermostat or two

You could wire the system to either use one thermostat or two.  My house has this setup (steam on the first floor, hot water in the converted attic) and we have two separate thermostats.  Two thermostats is nice because the upstairs is usually unoccupied so we can turn that one way down.

There's no real interference or problems when both call for heat at the same time. 

It takes maybe a minute or two longer for the radiators to heat up if the hot water loop is going too.  On the other hand, running the hot water loop once the radiators are hot makes the boiler less oversized compared to the steam radiators.
  • nycpa
    thanks

thanks for the reply
This discussion has been closed.