Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

WM SGO-3 short cycling even when t-stat is satisfied!

I just (today) installed a WM sgo-3 in my home and it is short cycling even after the t-stat is satisfied. I'm very confused in my very warm home. I have 1200sq and will be adding a hot water loop tomorrow. I skimmed the boiler several times and nothing seems to help. I have 2 main air vents that are fairly new. Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Hap_Hazzard
    Hap_Hazzard Member Posts: 2,846
    What kind of LWCO did that come with?

And how often is it cycling?
    Just another DIYer | King of Prussia, PA
    1983(?) Peerless G-561-W-S | 3" drop header, CG400-1090, VXT-24
  • nicholas bonham-carter
    nicholas bonham-carter Member Posts: 8,576
    Thermostat wiring problem

Are you saying that even after the thermostat has been satisfied and cut off the circuit to the boiler, it continues to run in a short-cycling fashion?

The wiring must be the problem. Doublecheck it against the diagram from the boiler mfg, and thermostat co.--NBC
  • crash2009
    crash2009 Member Posts: 1,484
    The thermostat

should shut the boiler off when you get to the preset temperature.  Tell your installer that they might have a wire crossed.
  • blackpenny
    blackpenny Member Posts: 15
    Checked the wiring

The boiler came with a CyleGard LWC. As far as the wiring is concerned it is a simple TR and TW connection to the Beckett burner.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    EDR

What was the total EDR of all the radiators, and how many sq/ft of steam is the boiler rated for?
  • blackpenny
    Installer sucks

I am the installer! lol
  • crash2009
    I'm laughing too

I thought you were the victum of the installer.  What kind of thermostat do you have?
  • blackpenny
    Honeywell t-stat

I have a digital/programmable Honeywell 5-2 t-stat. I'm not the best when it comes to steam, I do all supermarket service work now and haven't touched a steam boiler other than my own in over 7 years.
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Boiler

Disconnect the thermostat. See if it still happens.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    Read the CycleGard Manual

I think you'll find your answer there.
  • crash2009
    Do you

have an aquastat?
  • blackpenny
    beckett A/C ready kit???

t-stat disconnected and still happening.

ok, go easy on me ....but, ....the burner came with a jumper on R to W. Do i leave this in?

Also read in the beckett manual that I may need a A/C ready kit if boiler is cycling. ???
  • blackpenny
    aquastat

no auquastat ....yet. I will install one when i add my hot water loop tomorrow.
  • Hap_Hazzard
    I think you've bypassed the thermostat.

The LWCO turns off the burner for 90 seconds every 10 minutes. Apparently this is the only thing that's controlling your gas valve. Go over the wiring diagram inside the CycleGard cover or the one in the manual. If you connected the optional connection from the "burner" terminal to the gas valve, disconnect it and see if the thermostat works. If it does, make sure you are connecting the right gas valve terminal to the "burner" terminal.
  • Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    The

jumper(resistor) between T-T on primary control was cut?
  • blackpenny
    hmmmm

The beckett burner came with a jumper from W to R, so I removed my t-stat wires going to W R and it's still running. So the question is, where do I connect my t-stat wires? Looked at the wiring diagram on the cyclegard and I dont see where my t-stat connection would be. It's late and I'm confused after a very long solo install on a 600lb boiler.
  • crash2009
    edited October 2012
    Ya

got it nailed Hap?  I'm going back to the fight.
  • blackpenny
    T-stat wires

Where do I connect my t-stat wires if not on the burner???
  • JStar
    JStar Member Posts: 2,752
    Tstat

The tstat goes to R and W without a jumper.
  • blackpenny
    I don't get it.

I have t-stat to r and w without jumper and nothing! I'm so tired and frustrated. I just don't get it.
  • blackpenny
    LWC

Do I need to wire anything to my LWC??? Are the t-stat wires direct from my t-stat to the R and W on the 7505 on the burner?
  • AaronH
    AaronH Member Posts: 59
    Post a photo of your burner control

Please post a photo of your burner control's wiring, and let us know what model it is. 
    2001 Weil McLain SGO-3 Steam Boiler/Beckett AFG oil burner. Vaporstat running at 1.0psi max. Single-pipe, counterflow system (w/near-boiler drips) connected to 8 radiators heating 1400sq/ft (2 stories) in Central NJ, built in 1915. Bock 32e Oil-Fired H/W heater w/Wayne burner. Lots to do and getting there slowly.
  • blackpenny
    Beckett Genisys 7505

I have my t-stat wired directly to the R and W on the 7505.
  • blackpenny
    edited October 2012
    yes

the one on the left without the display.
  • blackpenny
    Anyone???

I ran all new t-stat wire from first floor to burner. Still not running. Boiler only runs with jumper from TW to TR on burner and will not shut off when t-stat is satisfied.
  • blackpenny
    SOLVED!

Bad t-stat wire. I ran new from first floor to my jumper split by my water feed valve but forgot to run from there to the boiler. Wow! I can be real dumb sometimes!!!
  • Hap_Hazzard
    edited October 2012
    Okay, and do the LWCO and pressuretrol still turn it off?

Make sure that the CycleGard turns off the burner on low water (amber light) and for the intermittent level test (green light). Also tip the rocker on the pressuretrol and make sure it cuts the burner.

And did you say you had a water feeder too? No wonder you were confused. I installed a CycleGard and a water feeder last year, on a 30 year old Peerless. Of course the manual for the burner control didn't say where to connect a water feeder, and the Hydrolevel manuals weren't too clear on how to install their controls on a 30 year old Honeywell burner control, so I put all the manuals together and sketched out the connections and hooked everything up and... nothing. So I stepped back and took another shot and finally figure out that I needed to run another pair of wires from the transformer, which someone thoughtfully installed under my breaker box instead of anywhere near the boiler. Good times!

Oh, and by the way, I used to be an electronics technician, so don't feel bad about not getting your wiring right on the first try.
  • blackpenny
    done

everything seems to be functioning as they should. i'll be starting on my hot water loop in a bit. thanks all.
This discussion has been closed.