Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

water level tube

carmi Member Posts: 1
Hi everyone.! First time here hoping someone can help. I have a gas furnace for a radiating heating system in my 1500 sq ft, single floor ranch. I was taking a look at my furnace before turning it on for the season and I noticed that the glass tube/ water level indicator was not only empty but the inside of the tube has calcium built up near the top by the valve .it seems to be a piece about two inches long, there is still a little bit of space between the glass and the calcium deposit. But I am afraid that water will not go into the tube. Will this effect the water flow to the entire system,out just my ability to monitor the water levels effectively. What should I do? Any help would be greatly appreciated.



  • Zman
    Zman Member Posts: 7,375
    What do you have?

    Furnaces heat air. They don't  use water so I don't think you have one.

    Hot water boilers heat water which is usually distributed by circulators (pumps). Some of the older ones have the gauge you describe, they are usually mounted on the expansion tank.

    It sounds like you have a steam boiler. The gauge would be mounted on the side of the boiler. A picture would be helpful.
    "If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough"
    Albert Einstein
This discussion has been closed.