Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Repair or replace?

Options
dougb
dougb Member Posts: 1
I have a Lars Endurance EBP combination boiler that provides heat and hot water for a guest suite above our detached garage. The unit was purchased in late 2002 when we built the suite.

Recently the hot water began cutting out within a minute after being turned on. It ran extremely hot for a couple minutes, then went cold.

My plumber examined the unit today and discovered that the LED panel was not working and the combustion fan needed to be replaced. In addition, the valve that regulates the flow of hot water to the tap appeared to be corroded and there were signs of water/mineral seepage.

My question is whether I should invest in new parts and the labor to repair this unit, or replace the unit. If the latter, what type and model unit might you recommend?

Thanks,

Doug B.

Comments

• Al Letellier_21
    Al Letellier_21 Member Posts: 402
    Options
    Laars Endurance

I don't like to speak negative about anyone or any product, but since you asked.....replace it with something else. The product simply hasn't lived up to its name in my book.....just replaced one I installed 9 years ago with a BAXI LUNA.

The owner has gone from a GlowCore to an Endurance and now to a BAXI all in a ten years span. Hopefully the third time is the charm.

Just my humble two cents worth opinion.
  • Steve_210
    Steve_210 Member Posts: 646
    Options
    endureance

i have to agree personaly  i would not spend money on this unit
  • mjcromp
    mjcromp Member Posts: 57
    Options
    Same story different post!

I have worked on a few and the movie Money Pit comes to mind. I have used the Triangle Tube Excellence which does heating and domestic out of one compact wall mounted unit.
    Too bad common sense isn't very common.
  • Abbo
    Abbo Member Posts: 4
    Options
    lars endurance

I'm in a coop in NYC. We replaced one heat and hot water unit after 15 years across the 12 apts when units were all experiencing high repair costs. We replaced with the Lars Endurance, probably in 2003. All of us have had terrible repair costs right away, or nearly——with electrical boards going, the plunger or valve going etc— We use B&H in Brooklyn and they  may be the best repair in area but they are expensive and often don't repair the problem, just replace whatever they "think" is wrong. I just spent $800 6 weeks ago on new plunger, new board and new tank, and when i woke up to cold and tried turning on heat——there was none.

What to do?

My questions: is there a better repair shop in my area?

Is there a manual for this machine that would help understand or diagnose the problem?

What is recommended for a 1300 square foot baseboard heat apt that would work better at this point and what is its cost?

Any takers. We are quite frustrated, paid $4000 to install this  9 years ago and have paid likely the same in repairs over that time.

Or is this the way heaters go nowadays?

Thanks for an answer. 
  • kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,432
    Options
    I suggest....

you put your zip code into the find-a-contractor feature at the top of the page....Being in business is not easy and w/ all the regulations, licences, training and fees today is is tough to be in business and actually make a wage.
This discussion has been closed.