Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

Electric Iginition question

Options
Pickleman
Pickleman Member Posts: 12
I installed a brand new natural gas boiler last week for a customer. The customer then decided to test the ignite/flame sensor to see if it shuts the gas off when disconnected. The main gas does shut off but the pilot gas still runs while the ignite wire is disconnected. I've looked up the Honeywell pilot module which I believe is a S8600F (but not 100% Sure because it it labeled with slant fin stickers instead). This particular intermittent pilot module states that it will 'spark on until pilot lightoff or manual shutoff; pilot valve open until manual shutdown'.

So my question is how do I re assure my customer that his house wont blow up when this ignite/sensor ever does fail? Any comments would be appreciated

Comments

• Paul48
    Paul48 Member Posts: 4,469
    Options
    I

would assure them that manufacturers are extremely thorough when testing all boilers. I just looked at a 115 volt NG, propane and CO detector for $55. Providing one, might make them feel safer.Oh, and get an answer to your question from the manufacturer. Provide it to your customer.
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    There is nothing wrong

pulling the igniter wire internally shuts down pulse transformer network in the module. The PV (pilot valve) wire is still connected and if the call for heat is still there you will have pilot gas but will never get the MV (main vavle) to work. Keep in mind the gas valve is a redundant valve.

By the way what the customer did is not how to check safety. If the flame does not prove therough the microamp circuit it will not fire. Pull the burner ground wire and the same thing will happen it will keep sparking and the pilot will be lit. That is just how it works and it is perfectly safe.
  • Pickleman
    Options

Thanks Paul and Tim. I'll speak to the customer today.
  • Pickleman
    Options
    Nat gas lighter?

Is pilot gas not dangerous because it will just disperse up the chimney due to being lighter than air??
  • Tim McElwain
    Tim McElwain Member Posts: 4,621
    Options
    The gas valve is considered 100% safe shut off.

But yes if the pilot remains energized and gas is escaping it will rise and go out the vent. It will never reach the LEL (Lower Explosive Limit)
This discussion has been closed.