Welcome! Here are the website rules, as well as some tips for using this forum.
Need to contact us? Visit https://heatinghelp.com/contact-us/.
Click here to Find a Contractor in your area.

kcopp a? regarding insulation and heat plates

jonny88
jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
hi,so we just finished installing uponor heat transfer plates for a staple up job.uponor manual said not to use an air gap but contractor is insisting on an air gap.also is regular insulation ok to use or do you have to use foil faced insulation.thanks for your help

Comments

• kcopp
    kcopp Member Posts: 4,419
    edited September 2012
    oops

• kcopp
    So your contractor.....

does not want to follow the  instructions put out by Uponor? Odd. Did you show him where it says this in the literature? I guess you could do the air gap if you were compelled to do so.... you will lose some response time I would imagine. I would not bother w/ the reflective... after 6 months the dust will more than likely make any reflective value negligible.  If the general is insisting on the 2" air gap he apparently does not understand the principle behind the plates conducting heat vs. convecting heat to the floor.

http://www.uponor-usa.com/~/media/Files/Product%20Documents/JoistTrak%20Cutsheet.aspx?sc_lang=en
  • jonny88
    jonny88 Member Posts: 1,139
    thanks kcopp

the general didnt back down.i got the "you know how many years ive been doing this" story.books are written for idiots.i wish i was in a position to walk away from this job but im sticking to my guns on this one.i informed the home owner who is going to have a conversation with the g.c. thanks again.
  • Dave H_2
    Dave H_2 Member Posts: 550
    Heat plates and extruded plates

Jonny,

He may be correct in his thinking, there are two vastly different types of plates in the market. Heat emission plates and heavy extruded plates.

The first is a thin aluminum that is formed to go around the pex, not great contact and creating and heating the air pocket above the insulation helps with the transfer of energy. This system typically requires a higher water temperature so the pocket also helps with hot spots on the floor.

The heavy extruded plate uses around 30 degree cooler water to heat the same as the other plate. Here you want direct conduction to the subfloor and the air pocket created with the insulation does nothing for the added comfort but drops the heat delivery affect into the room.

Then of course there is the third system without plates that needs the air gap.

Both are still used out there, and the thin plates have been around longer and that is what he may be accustomed to.

I would be careful about "exposing" him to the homeowner, it may ruin your relationship with him, I would rather teach him the differences.

Enjoy
    Dave H
  • kcopp
    Dave brings up....

some very good points. I am talking about Joist Track... the thick plates not the thin "tin" ones. Be careful about going to the homeowner.... seen that come back to bite you before.
This discussion has been closed.